Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Time out with Manny Aguirre (2014 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Aguirre: The most enjoyable part of competing in athletics throughout my life was the relationships and bonds that were formed. I made so many friends and met people from different backgrounds that came together because we enjoyed competing in the same sport. I also gained different mentors over the years that helped mold the person I have become today.  

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Aguirre: I moved to Arizona to study Criminology/Criminal Justice at Arizona State. I enjoyed my time there but after two years away from family I decided to move back closer to home and now reside in Roseville, CA. I am continuing my education through ASU online and looking into transferring to Sacramento State. In addition to my studies I also work at an Italian restaurant as a busser and food-runner.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

Aguirre: My favorite class at Napa High was definitely weight room because it was at the end of the school day so you were able to blow off some steam from whatever frustrations you may have had that day. Outside of physical education I was always an English guy. I actually enjoy reading if I find the book or article interesting and didn't mind writing papers. I was also blessed with some pretty awesome teachers as well such as Ms. Watkins, Mr. Aaron and Ms. Walker to name a few.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

Aguirre: My favorite athletic moment at Napa High was definitely my junior year Big Game Football. We won that game pretty easily as our team clicked on all cylinders that night and it was one of my better games I played individually so that is always a plus. Only thing I regret was not reaching the end zone that game. Big Game week in general is just the best experience because the school spirit is on another level and there is nothing else like it in the town of Napa. You get to play with your brothers against your cross town rival in front of thousands of people, it feels like the whole town is at that game. Some of your buddies you grew up playing football with are on the opposite side and it's a totally different ball game.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Aguirre: I feel like I have grown immensely since graduation, back in high school I was always living in the moment and not thinking too much about the future. Don't get me wrong it is great to live in the moment but I have learned to balance that with looking at the bigger picture. I have goals I want to accomplish in life that I know will take hard work now because success can't just happen overnight. I attribute a lot of my growth in life towards athletics because sports are a meritocracy. You earn your playing time through hard work, dedication and performance. There are no excuses just like in life you have to put in the work to get the results you want.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Aguirre: The most influential people in my family are without a doubt my parents. They did not have it as easy as I did growing up but because of their work ethic they were able accomplish the goals they set for themselves. I was born while my parents were both still in high school so they worked day and night to support not only themselves but me as well. They had a lot of different jobs growing up but now they have steady careers and give back to our community in positive ways. My mom is a nurse at the women's health department of the Napa Kaiser. My dad is a supervisor for the high risk unit at the Napa County Adult Probation Department.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Aguirre: If I could meet a historical figure it would probably be Jimmy Johnson because I am a huge Dallas Cowboys fan and he is one of the best coaches in the history of their franchise. Not only did he lead the Cowboys to two Super Bowl victories but he also led the University of Miami to a National Championship as well. He is one of only three coaches to ever win both a Super Bowl and College National Championship. He had what it took to get done at the two highest levels of football as a head coach and it would be awesome to be able to pick his brain and network with him. I want to coach the game of football in some capacity one day so to learn from one of the best to ever do it would be an honor.



No comments:

Post a Comment