Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Time out with Ricci (Robben) Thompson -- 2003 Vintage High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Ricci Thompson: The thing I enjoyed about competing in athletics is that key word “competing.” I loved that world of competition and always trying to be better than the next team and player. I never wanted to quit or be beaten. We know we will never win every single game but it’s those games I lost where I learned more about what I needed to do, to be better the next time in order to not lose.
Athletics has taught me in life to always try and be the best I can. Whether that's in my workplace, as a mom, and a wife. If there's some place I am not doing the great in, I need to step back, just like in athletics and focus on the area of opportunity.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Thompson: I went off to play at the University of Wisconsin, where I played at the D-I level for softball and received my Bachelors degree. I then met my husband, Marquis, and have two kids, Marquis Jr 8, and Londynn 2.  Most recently I have taken over my dad's hitting lessons. So between being a mom, wife, working, and teaching hitting and pitching, you could say I am pretty busy.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Thompson: There is so many to choose but I would probably say math with Mr. D (Stan domezio). He, too, was my JV basketball coach.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Thompson: My favorite athletic moment, would probably be facing Alicia Hollowell as a freshman in the semi-finals at sections and going extra innings with her. Even though we lost this is a game that I always remember.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Thompson: I feel that I have personally grown a lot since graduating from high school. I feel that athletics has taught me hard-work, dedication, focus, and always striving to be the best I can be. Especially being a student-athlete at the collegiate level, you have to have all those things in order to focus on school work and your sport.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Thompson: I think it would be to hard to chose someone influential in my family. Everyone always did a lot for me to make sure I had everything I needed while growing up and playing sports. The list would be too long if I had to list out everything. I am very thankful for all of them.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Thompson: I know it's probably cliche to say but, Stephen Curry. Just being able to talk to someone who had to overcome so many obstacles to get where he is. The way he put dedication and hard-work into everything he did and still does. He still remains humble and sticks to what he believes in.


No comments:

Post a Comment