Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Time Out with Betty (Lu) Hart -- 1990 Justin-Siena High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Betty Hart: I truly enjoy the lifetime of friendships and teamwork mentality that you learn through playing sports. You learn to work with others of all different backgrounds to achieve a common goal. You learn to put both your teammates and team first before your own personal goals. I have also enjoyed the competitive aspect athletics had to offer and have learned to persevere in everyday life no matter what the circumstance. I have learned that nothing comes without hard work and desire and I greatly attribute that to athletics.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Hart: I graduated from Occidental College with a BS in Kinesiology, took a little hiatus from academics and began coaching the Freshmen girls squad at Justin-Siena in 1995, where we were undefeated, which was fun. At Occidental, I started at both the point guard and 2-guard positions for four years and was nominated team captain and MVP senior year. I also played softball for three years (sophomore through senior years) for Occidental starting as center fielder receiving Rookie of the Year honors and Best Defensive player. After coming back to Napa for one year, I began working as a graduate assistant for Oakland University in Michigan during their transition from Div II to Div I athletics. I was a graduate assistant for the athletics department doing marketing and ticket sales. I received an MS in Exercise Physiology from Oakland University.

I then decided to continue onto podiatric medical school in San Francisco which led me to a surgical residency in St. Louis, MO. While in St. Louis, I met my husband, John, and we decided to stay out this way and began working in Tennessee. I am in private practice doing both podiatric medicine and surgery in Tennessee with three practice locations.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Hart: I enjoyed my English classes with Mr. Bob Morrish the most. He was entertaining as a teacher and was so intelligent in the way he would educate us and get his point across. His class always brought a smile to my face.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Hart: My favorite moment was my senior year during our playoff season when we had to travel to one of the, and an anonymous donor sponsored an entire fan bus to follow us to the game and cheer for us. It meant a lot to me to see the immense support we had from both our school and our community. We won that game and continued with the post season tournament finishing two games from state, losing to Campolindo High School who went on and played the next game winning the state championship that year.  

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Hart: I have grown a lot personally since graduating from high school and I attribute my competitive mentality and persevering attitude to athletics. I have learned never take anything for granted and that hard work and honesty will never come without reward. I also contribute my personal growth to my Christian upbringing and Catholic education.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Hart: My mom is the most influential person in my life. She has taught me to work hard for what you want to achieve. She worked two jobs for us while growing up and was always there to support me in my athletic activities.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Hart: I have always been a fan of Michael Jordan.  I just think that he was truly a basketball legend and he brought the game to a whole new level.  His passion for the game and his desire to succeed are very admirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment