Thursday, June 18, 2015

Time Out with Damon Kachur (1994 Justin-Siena High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Damon Kachur: I was able to enjoy both a team and individual based sports growing up, which I thought was great but the single best part of participating in athletics was the bond that was formed by a team. In order to be successful and win on the field or the court, the entire team must function as one group with a single agenda. An athlete must understand and embrace their role on a team and a common goal for the team must be agreed upon and executed.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Kachur: I work in Business Development covering Cyber Security and Threat Intelligence for Symantec Corporation. I love my job and get to travel around the world and help to protect billions of devices and most importantly the children of our world.  

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Kachur: That's a tricky one. I will give you my top 3. (Bob) Morrish for English, (Dan) Clark for Math and Dr. (Marshall) Foletta for history/government.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Kachur: Playing any baseball game at the Veteran's Field in Yountville.  Winning the CIF Championship for golf in 1994.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Kachur: I've grown a lot since I last played competitive organized athletics. I definitely see the team experience assist me in my professional life but I also see traits from my individual athletic experience helping to guide me in strategizing and positioning myself for personal growth and gain.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Kachur: My mom and dad were definitely the biggest influences that I had growing up. My dad taught me about work ethic, being punctual, listening, being respectful and keeping commitments. My mom always made sure I had a ride, took my the the cages, threw me batting practice on the golf course, drove me all over for golf and baseball games, she made sure I was fed, had a clean uniform and all my gear was packed. They were both there for me at every turn.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Kachur: Bo Jackson hands down. I'd love to hear straight from him what it was like to be Bo, growing up, his time at Auburn and his short but magnificent professional career.  I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Johnny Miller and he has been very influential on me as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment