Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Time Out with Lee Erby (Vintage High 1999 graduate)




Vince D'Adamo:  What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Lee Erby: I really enjoyed the camaraderie that sports provides. In the moment it’s hard to understand the impact sports will have on your personal life, but it is blatantly apparent when you list your friends years later. I can thank competitive sports for some of the most impactful friendships I have today. Even for those teammates that I may not keep in contact with on a continuous basis, the moment I see them it’s like we’ve talked every day. I’ve truly been blessed to have been able to be a part of a sport that allowed for these relationships.

D'Adamo:  What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Erby: Since high school I’ve been focused on achieving personal/professional goals:
1.    Played basketball at CSU-California Maritime Academy and received a B.S. in International Business & Logistics
2.    Began working at Merrill Lynch as Financial Advisor (2007) and am now in a management role (Regional Sales Manager) overseeing 62 Financial Advisor across the East Bay and Nevada.
3.    Received my MBA from Saint Mary’s College of California in 2011
4.    Became an uncle to a future NBA (Kaidyn 2 years old) and WNBA (Makayla 1 year old) First Round pick.
5.    I’ve been searching for my future wife (kidding)! 

D'Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Erby: Governmet/Economics

D'Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Erby: I enjoyed all three years I participated on the Varsity team, in particular the time with my teammates/coaches (conditioning, practicing, and games). My favorite moment doesn’t surround a personal event for me just rather the time I got to spend with my teammates/coaches. I was fortunate to play with a great group of guys.

D'Adamo:  How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Erby: I feel that I’ve grown tremendously since high school and I believe a large portion of that came from the life lessons I learned from my coaches (Russ Critchfield and Mike Flohr). With athletics you have to learn how to deal with both victory and defeat. You also learn that hard work will make you successful if you’re willing to stay committed to something. I’d also attribute my faith, family, and friends as key reasons for my growth.

D'Adamo:   Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Erby: I’ve been fortunate to have the support of my entire family.  I have loving parents, caring step parents, exceptional younger siblings, and a extended family that’s always been there for me.  I’m truly blessed.

D'Adamo:  Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Erby:  I’d most like to meet both of my grandfathers.  Unfortunately, they both passed away before I was born; I’d be curious to be able to hear their stories and learn from their life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment