Saturday, January 30, 2016

Time Out with Brett Wedding (American Canyon High boys basketball head coach)

Vince D’Aadamo: What is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to coaching every season?

Brett Wedding: What keeps me coaching basketball is that I enjoy constantly learning about basketball, strategizing, and in a way competing in a sport setting. I am a competitive person and coaching is a way for me to be in a competitive environment but more than just the competitive nature of coaching I really enjoy creating a team. I love to see it when guys put their own personal agenda aside for the good of the team. When we start taking charges, diving for loose balls, sharing the ball, and out working the other team, I know we are on the right track.

D’Adamo: Beyond wins and losses, what is your vision for American Canyon High basketball?

Wedding: More than just wins and losses I would like the ACHS Basketball team to be known for its hard work, toughness, defensive energy, and ability to execute on offense. I would like there to be a sense of pride in the basketball program at ACHS, and that it be known as a basketball school. 

D’Adamo: Having played for Denny Lewis at Napa High, what did you learn from him and how much do you apply that to your coaching style?

Wedding: I was very fortunate to have Coach Lewis as a coach, as with Coach (Ben) Gongora and Coach (Dennis) Aman. We were taught the game of basketball, fundamentals, and hard work. What I try to bring from Coach Lewis is the emphasis in defense, toughness, and the pride of being part of the basketball program. I use a lot of the drills that we used with Coach. I owe a lot to Coach because the foundation of all my basketball knowledge comes from playing in his program. 

D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to relate to kids?

Wedding: We trying to build more than just a team, but more of a family and brotherhood. We also talk about enjoying the experiences, embracing the process, and creating positive memories. I feel that it is our job as coaches to not just teach X's and O's but to also make sure we are addressing those things I mentioned. I personally have so many great memories, lifelong friends, and have had many fantastic coaches who supported me in sports. I feel it is my job to pay it forward to the students I coach. 

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Wedding: Within my family my parents have always supported me playing sports and still continue to come to games as I coach. My dad coached me all through little league so sports was always a big part of my life growing up. The most important support I currently receive while coaching is from my wife (Katie). She is my biggest fan and when I wasn't coaching always encouraged me to do so. She takes on a lot as a teacher and also as a mother to our two kids, Lucas (3) and Amelia (2) while I am out coaching, so I owe a lot to her.  

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Wedding: I would like to meet Tom Izzo from Michigan State. I really like how tough Michigan State plays, the sets they run, and the passion he coaches with. I would love to pick his brain about basketball.


No comments:

Post a Comment