Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Time Out with Sam Farmer (LA Times sports reporter)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about being connected with athletics throughout your life either as an athlete or journalist?
Sam Farmer: Without question, the aspect of sports I’ve enjoyed most is the relationships and friendships I’ve built. It’s what I enjoyed most when I played sports as a kid, and when I’ve covered them as an adult.
D’Adamo: Which sports did you play competitively in high school?
Farmer: Basketball and football.
D’Adamo: Even with the declining state of the newspaper industry, what keeps you coming back every year?

Farmer: I love the creative challenge of the job, finding new stories and new ways to tell them. Also, the paycheck doesn’t hurt.
D’Adamo: You cover a heavy dose of the NFL, what have you enjoyed most about covering it?
Farmer: The NFL is a great beat for someone who has a family. The travel is relatively light – I used to cover the NBA and was gone all the time – and virtually every game is meaningful in some way.
D’Adamo: Kind of a related question, as one working for the LA Times, what does it mean to you having the NFL back in LA with the Rams returning?

Farmer: Although I won’t be the Rams beat writer, having an NFL team back in Los Angeles only heightens the interest in the league. That’s a good thing for me.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Farmer: My wife, Paige, has long provided a sense of order and structure for our family. When we met, she had a classic type-A personality, and I was clearly type B. Now, she’s A-minus and I’m B-plus. We’ve affected each other that way.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Farmer: Mark Twain. Maybe he’d help me with some ledes.

No comments:

Post a Comment