Sunday, November 13, 2016

Time Out with Dylan Martin: 2017 St. Helena High senior



Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Dylan Martin: I love competition and that is one of the biggest reasons that I found myself playing sports year round. One thing I have really enjoyed throughout high school is playoff football. It is just a fun time of year, with holidays rolling around. Nothing brings out the competition in me like playoffs, I love the win or go home aspect to it. In high school I have also loved competing against the same people year after year, it’s fun to develop relationships that are strictly sports based.
D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Martin: After high school I plan on attending a four year university. Some of my top schools are: Syracuse University, University of Oregon, University of Connecticut. I can’t wait to start a new chapter in my life. Although I will not be playing sports for a college, I do plan on playing as many intramural as possible.
D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?
Martin: In college I plan on majoring in Sports Management or Business Management. I just figured that I spent so much of my life invested in sports that it would be silly not to apply myself academically with something I know, understand, and am passionate about. I love sports and I love business. I have always been been a numbers guy, so the idea of studying basically the numbers and mechanics that go into the sports industry seriously excites me.
D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?
Martin: My favorite class that I have taken in high school would have to be Anatomy and Physiology with Mr. O’Connor. Although it was one of the hardest classes that I have taken at Saint Helena high school it was an incredible experience. As we studied different parts of the body and their functions, we dissected cats so we could make visual connections. On top of it all Mr. O is the man, he makes the class very exciting.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Martin: For me the most influential family member in my life is my grandmother Alice Martin, my dad’s mother. Alice died when I was very young, and I really never got to meet her. However, there are nothing but good things to say for Alice. She was so resilient in her fight with cancer, and to me she was just as strong of a competitor as any athlete.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Martin: I would love to meet Michael Jordan, he is such an incredible competitor. I just want to pick his brain and talk about how he was able to find so much motivation. I would absolutely love to talk to him about “Flu Game”. I can’t imagine what it would have been like to play a full basketball with the flu, and not only play but to lead his team to a victory. Ever since I was a little kid I loved Michael Jordan. I remember always watching Michael Jordan highlights on youtube. My dad also had a DVD set of a ton of Jordan highlights including some of his most iconic games. I would love to be able to talk to a competitor as great as Michael Jordan. He has been an idol to me most of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment