Monday, July 3, 2017

Time Out with Andrew Bettencourt -- Justin-Siena High girls basketball head coach

Vince D’Adamo: What is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to coaching every season?

Andrew Bettencourt: It’s tough to single out just one. I would say there are three things that rise above the rest in terms of bringing me back. Relationships with the players is definitely one. Anytime you spend that much time with a group and sacrifice so much as a group, you develop strong bonds that last over time. One of my favorite things is the amount of former players that are still around our program. Also, the competitive aspect of being involved in sports, working hard with a group of players to achieve a goal is very rewarding. Anyone who is a competitor understands the joy of winning and the agony of defeat, and working hard for that joy is a major factor. Lastly, I would say that every day, week, season, and year is different. There are always new challenges to face and more to learn. The more I do this, the more I feel like I have so much more to learn and so much room to grow. It’s a very humbling and yet rewarding feeling.

D’Adamo: Beyond win-loss records, what is your continued vision for Justin-Siena High basketball?

Bettencourt: The continued vision is to continue the focus on getting better everyday.  Some years we are going to have more talent than others, but the experience is truly about working hard to get better, learning to work together as a team, and understanding that everyone has a role and must star in that role to be successful.  We are never going to say that we don't value winning, because we do, but we value the process of getting better, of learning how to handle adversity, and of learning the value of hard work even more.

D’Adamo: From Marsha Niemann to Frank Bozzini to Bruce Halverson to Mark Dunn to Mike Boles, the Braves have a strong tradition in girls basketball, how much of coaching here is a matter of emphasizing to the girls to carve out their own niche?

Bettencourt: We do have a very strong tradition of coaching here and I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from and watch many of the coaches you mentioned, most specifically Mike Boles. The players definitely have a sense of the history and while we want to make sure we live up to the standards of teams that came before us, we work very hard to communicate that our goal is to do the best that our current team can do. We want to make sure that we are putting forth the effort needed to get better every day, and competing at the highest level possible.  If we are doing those things, we believe that we will have our own legacy.

D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to relate to kids?

Bettencourt: I think it becomes more important every day. I have been coaching at Justin for 12 years, and in those 12 years kids and the world around them have changed dramatically. We are constantly talking about, learning about, and trying to figure out how to relate our message to the players. From little things such as trying to show more video and draw on the board less, to playing music at practice, and everything in between, we constantly look at how we are trying to relate to the players.  Being able to effectively communicate the message we are trying to is the most important thing we can do.  

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Bettencourt: My parents, first and foremost. They have been incredibly supportive of my coaching. They are both a fixture at many of our teams games, and have always encouraged me to do what I love. They are both incredible examples of what hard work and perseverance can do for you.  Definitely my sisters have been influential and supportive, my extended family, I have been fortunate to have a lot of support and love, and feel truly blessed. Someone I consider family, Mike Boles, has been incredibly influential. He has been there for me since day one of my coaching career at Justin, and even though he has moved on to coaching at Sonoma High, we still talk almost every day and I owe a lot of any success I've had to him.  Others who have helped me and been incredible mentors and sounding boards include Tim Malloy and Ken Savino. I am so blessed to have so many positive influences that I can call family, people that have given me their time, expertise, and advice and have never been afraid to tell me the truth.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Bettencourt: There are so many. I'm gonna cheat and give more than one.

D’Adamo (chuckling): More than one is allowed.

Bettencourt (chuckling): George Washington and Abraham Lincoln for starters.  To be the first President of the United States and to lead the United States out of the Civil War, wow. I would love to talk to them about leadership. More recently, Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Coach K., and Tom Izzo. Four coaches who I think have done such a great job of establishing programs. I would love to pick their brains and learn anything I could from them.


1 comment: