Saturday, July 1, 2017

Warriors right to consider White House visit if invited

Since winning their second NBA title in three years, it has been generally assumed that the Golden State Warriors as an organization will decline their visit to the White House.

As long as I can remember, and perhaps long before, college and professional sports teams have visited the White House in Washington D.C. and subsequently honored by the United States president to celebrate the success of winning that championship.

Except here, you have a unique situation. I’m not going to turn this into any more of a political post than necessary or this conversation will really turn into a hot mess. For openers, the 2016 presidential election between Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton is viewed by many as the most toxic in our country’s history. Though I’m only 44 years old, I’d be hardpressed to argue. Secondly, when it comes to public figures, Warriors head coach Steve Kerr along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich have been two outspoken critics of Trump.

Though the Warriors have not yet received an invitation, some Warrior players, most notably Steph Curry and Andre Iguodola have said they will decline going to the White House if invited. In November, Kerr said the organization would decline such a visit but he has relented to the point whether the organization will consider visiting. Please note, that is not the same as declaratively saying they will go.

Kerr said: “It’s important to me that there’s a respect for the office and for the institution, and that’s why I would consider going. But I will be perfectly blunt — and I know I’ll anger people by saying this — but I want the man who’s sitting in the office to respect that office, too, and that means being above the tweeting and the nasty personal insults and trying to unify the country instead of trying to divide us, and I feel like he’s trying to divide us.”

Though I do not like the Warriors because my team (San Antonio Spurs) is trying to catch them, I respect what they have achieved on the court. Kerr and the Warriors are also showing pragmatism in their leadership.

Individual players on championship teams have not accompanied their organization to the White House for many years but it was not rampantly reported then like it is now. There are many factors that include but are not limited social media giving people more of a platform to express their views voluntarily.

I have no problem at all with celebrities expressing their views as long as they can accept the ramifications that come with it. They call it Freedom of Speech for a reason. The problem with people expressing their opinions is that too many often think they are speaking for everyone. Instead, you are only speaking for how you feel and others that share your opinion. Also, people get so fixated on the freedom aspect of speech that they forget the responsibility part.

Though I have never visited the White House, I would be intrigued despite my cynical views on politics. Honestly, politics would have nothing to do with my intrigue. My parents and I visited Washington D.C. in 1989 as two of my sisters were living there at the time working for a California Congressman. They worked in the United States Capital building. I remember being 17 years old having the opportunity to meet Kansas Senator Robert Dole. My parents and I were walking down the hall and the name Robert Dole on the door placard. He graciously invited us into his office and we had a picture taken with him. It felt great because it showed a human side not seen in the public eye.

I did not vote for Clinton or Trump, I voted for someone else entirely but that is another matter entirely. You can have an opinion on whether or not they should visit the White House but it’s for anyone to make rules to decide if a team or person should visit the White House. I believe it should be up to the individual person and nor should they be disparaged for their choice. Regardless of that choice, they have the right to make it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment