Thursday, July 13, 2017

Time Out with Kaine Gish -- 2000 Vintage High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Kaine Gish: The team atmosphere.  I liked being relied on and being able to rely on the person next to me.  I enjoy celebrating a teammates success as much or more than I enjoy celebrating my own.
D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Gish: I got into restaurants shortly after I graduated  high school. When I moved to Washington DC I really found my stride in restaurant management . I find the qualities in a successful restaurant and a successful baseball team are very similar - it's all about coordination and communication.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Gish: My favorite class was Rich Andersons 11th grade English Class. We read some really great novels and I truly learned how to interpret subtext.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Gish: I feel truly lucky to have had several great experiences while at VIntage but the trip to the playoffs in my junior year was amazing. I didn't play much but I think about something that happened in that '99 season almost every day. I remember when we clinched the MEL title and we barely celebrated because we expected to succeed. That was the mindset everyday in practice and in games.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Gish: I have grown tremendously. The thing I attribute most to my growth is the idea that you come to the park/work and get better every day. Continuous improvement is my mantra.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Gish: This one's tough because so many people in my family have had great impacts on my life. Both my grandfathers, which I've lost in the last few years come to the top of my mind though. One played for the Cubs in the minors and really fostered my love for baseball and the Cubs and the other took me all over the country and instilled a true love for nature and the outdoors.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Gish: Cal Ripken Jr. I have always admired his dedication and perseverance. I'd love to just sit and pick his brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment