Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Time Out with Claire Ballentine: 2015 Justin-Siena High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Claire Ballentine: I loved the pressure and adrenaline you would feel in an intense game, to me that was the ultimate rush. I played sports as far back as I can remember. I mostly played team sports where I made life long friends and great memories. My favorite part of competing would be when a team doubted our ability based on a record or size, and we would surprise them with a win.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Ballentine: I am currently a sophomore at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, where I am pursuing a degree in Fermentation Science with a minor in Business. I am not currently playing volleyball at school, but instead I am starting to ski and have turned my time towards boxing. I love trying new activities and I never got to ski much in high school because of the risk of injury during sport seasons.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Ballentine: This is tough, it’s hard to pick one because I had such great teachers my senior year. If I would have to choose my favorite class at Justin-Siena it would either be senior service with Mrs. Wood because she is the nicest teacher ever and has the biggest heart, or Economics with Mr. LaRocco who was also amazing. I love how both these teachers taught and really engaged the students. I definitely miss them.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Ballentine: That's easy, my senior night was by far the best moment playing volleyball at Justin-Siena. We took Branson to five games, which we had never done at least the four years I played on varsity. Also was the proudest moment I had towards my teammates, everyone played out of their shoes and were all amazing. We ended up losing by two, but I have never walked away so happy after a loss. I still dream of that game and how great everyone played.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Ballentine: I believe I have definitely grown as a person through my more improved work ethic and time management. I believe sports helped a lot with this by having to juggle sports with school work and social life. Being a part of a team also taught me patience and understanding different people’s personalities. I believe I get along with a lot of people because on a team you are taught to make it work with your teammates and respect each others differences.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?
Ballentine: My parents and brother had a major influence on my life and athletic career. Both my mom and dad are the most hard working people I know. They are constantly setting goals to better their lives and business. They have really taught me that nothing is really out of reach if you put your mind and heart into it. My brother really had a huge impact on the athlete I am today. He is four years older than me and graduated from St. Helena High in 2011, where he was a very humble and amazing athlete. His work ethic and determination was really what guided me to work as hard as I did. I am truly grateful for my family.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Ballentine: My favorite quote is "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."-Mahatma Gandhi. I would want to meet him because I am moved by his love for others and life itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment