Monday, March 13, 2017

Time Out with Gary Trent (Prolific Prep basketball)



By Garrett Whitt

Special to vincedadamo.blogspot.com

Garrett Whitt: What was the deciding factor that pushed you to go to Duke over UCLA and Michigan State next fall?
Gary Trent.: Those three schools were all great schools. I loved everything about them. They have some terrific coaches. But there is no way you could turn down Duke basketball and the brotherhood and the brand behind it. It’s known worldwide. I would say Coach K and Duke basketball is probably the most known if not one of the most known basketball programs throughout the whole world just with their players that came through the past, the championships, their accolades. Everything that came with it is A plus standard and over the top. There was no way you could turn that down.
Whitt: Your best friend (Wendell Carter) is also going to Duke.
Trent: Wendell Carter (also one of the top high school players in the country) is a great basketball player but (our friendship) started about 2 or 3 years ago, we were at USA Basketball and we were in the cold tub. We were talking like which college do you like and stuff like that. Instantly we clicked. We started talking about Kentucky. We talked about Duke. We talked about Michigan State. We talked about basically all the bluebloods really and how we liked them, and what they could do for us, how they were doing that previous year. We just came up with a solution, like it would be cool if we could play together, win national championships and try to accomplish everything that we can together. I can help by dominating on the wing, and he can help by dominating in the post. We continued to talk we built the relationship. Our families got involved, built the relationship. Our parents are friends and it’s still growing. I’m so happy that we picked to play (at) the same school so I can have the opportunity to continue to grow and understand him and his family so much more. He’s a great player and a great person, and I love everything about him.
Whitt:  Reading your bio you are from the same town (Apple Valley, Minnesota) as Tyus Jones who was the Most Outstanding Player in the 2015 Final Four leading Duke to the national championship have you talked to any of the guys who have left Duke (the last couple of years) or the current guys on the team?
Trent:  Actually, I was born in Columbus, Ohio. So, I was born there and I lived there for the first 11 years of my life. Then I moved to a suburb in Apple Valley, Minnesota and I played with Tyus Jones on varsity, my freshman year. I started with him It was a great experience. He taught me the ropes early. He helped me understand the game better, he made it come easier for me.
The coaches are great as well. That’s another (reason) I went there. I love how Coach K hires old players that played in the program that know what it is like to be out there on his staff. That’s the great thing about Coach K and how his mind works. He figures out a formula that works and continues to go with it, and everything is great. The coaches’ pitch to me was that they want me to come out there being who I am. He (Coach Krzyzewski) wants me to come out there being the scorer I am. He wants me to come out there with my ego I have.  He wants me to just bring everything with me and just open arms to the Duke basketball program and the brotherhood and I’m all for it. I can’t wait to get there, start working out just showcase my talents.
Whitt:  What do you think will be the biggest change going from the high school level to the college level?
Trent: I always ask players that on the next level. What is the biggest difference? They say the physicality, the speed of the game and it all continues to go faster. Everybody’s bigger. Me being in high school, being a senior this year, this is the first time in my life that I’ve been one of the oldest (players) on the court because I’ve always played up. But next year I’m going back to being the youngest again. You’ve got to make plays faster. You got to think a little faster so it’s just a lot of great things. I can’t wait.
Whitt: What is going to be your biggest adjustment next year?
Trent: Again, it’s going to be different because it’s the first time in my life that I’ve been living on my own.  I’ve always had a parent cook for me. I’ve always had a parent do dishes. I’ve always had a parent to clean my room. So, I’ve got to do everything, and it’s time to grow up now as I’m molded and turn into a young man; Time management and being on my own is going to be one of the biggest things I got to look forward to, and I can’t wait for it. I’ve been waiting to go to college and be an adult in a sense I am alone for a long time now. So, there is a lot less time (and) just make great choices.
Whitt: The NBA notwithstanding, do you have designs on what you want to do, and what you want to study?
Trent: If basketball doesn’t work out, my dad (former NBA player Gary Trent SR.) always talked about having a Plan B. That you just can’t be a basketball player. You have to be a student -athlete. Some of the things I might want to get into as of right now actually is sports medicine.
Whitt:  What is the biggest piece of advice you have gotten from current or former Duke players as you prepare to step up to the challenge next season?
Trent: The thing they told me to be the most ready for is the life that comes with it. Stay humble. Don’t get too high. Don’t get too low. Just continue to be the person that you are, who you were raised to be and just be a great individual. But also, have fun throughout it all because it’s fun and it goes by quick so you have to be ready for it. Ready for criticism, ready for your teammates to help you out. Listen to the older guys. Let them educate you. Learn from their experiences. They can help you so much; that’s the best teacher. Just listen and follow the plan, and everything will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment