Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Time Machine 2012: When I became bitter about Twitter

Just a few months ago, I shared my views about Twitter and how excessive use of it has worsened the fundamentals of journalism:
That is a viewpoint that I wholeheartedly stand behind. For openers, Twitter only allows 150 characters to tell a story. My biggest issue with that approach is, “Really? So what I have to say is so insignificant that you are only allowing me 150 characters to tell the story.” That cryptic style is about 1/200th of a story, which is actually worse than no story at all.
I have a story to share from November 2012 that confirmed why I needed to get out of the newspaper industry because it was changing in ways I was not on board with relevant to the social media influence. I eventually did leave the industry in December 2014 though I have not given up writing. This blog serves its purpose as an outlet.
I love Facebook to keep in touch with people I seldom see and to entertain people with certain posts. However, when it comes to social media and traditional media, the two don’t belong together. Sadly, the lines have become exceedingly blurred because any crackpot with a computer and/or Twitter account can spew nonsense.
In November 2012, my conscience got to me so much so that I couldn’t look myself in the mirror. I was covering the CIF North Coast Section D-IV playoffs in Richmond between St. Helena and Salesian. St. Helena won that game 29-25 in what is undoubtedly a game in very select company in my career that I remember. St. Helena High quarterback Richard Hoppe, who set numerous school records, left the game with a mild concussion early in the third quarter with St. Helena trailing 19-15 against the two-time reigning NCS D-IV champs. St. Helena rallied for the win despite being without Hoppe.
St. Helena was slated to play the next round against San Marin at home with Hoppe being a “game time” decision. So me, Vince D’Adamo, Mr. anti-Twitter starts longing on to see Hoppe’s page to see if he would drop any hints of playing in the next game. The second time I did it, I looked in the mirror and screamed, “Did I just do that?” I couldn’t hide from reality. I did it.
OK, it gets better. Knowing I am the St. Helena Saints beat writer, I had about 10 people texting me the day of the game against San Marin with questions of “Is Hoppe playing?” Since it was a playoff game, I arrived about an hour and a half before kickoff. There were a smattering of Saints jogging on to the field for pregame warmups with just helmets, shirts and “below the waist” pads. I look and ask, “Is Richard one of them?” I’ve known the kid since he was 9. That’s part of being a small town reporter. I see a skinny white kid throw the ball and say, “That’s Richard. So I text the same people and say, “Richard’s warming up.”
Right before kickoff, I get more texts saying, “Let me know if Richard is playing.” Knowing the young man as I do I thought, “If this is a regular season game versus a subpar team like Lower Lake, he sits, but he’s a competitor. If he can play, he will.” So he walks on the field for the Saints first play and I text, “Richard’s playing. Are you happy now?” Somehow, the text got on to Twitter and knowing how anti-Twitter I was, the second sentence did not go over well but I didn’t care.
The Saints lost 32-26. Hoppe threw for 200-plus yards and two TDs.
The prevailing thought when I got home was, “I feel dirty. I need a shower.”

No comments:

Post a Comment