Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Time Out with Troy Mott (Napa High football head coach)

Vince D’Adamo: What is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to coaching every season?

Troy Mott: Without question it's the kids, they teach me something new everyday.  

D’Adamo: Though you took over a good situation as head coach in 2006, at the time, what was your vision for the Napa High football football program based on what you wanted them to become?

Mott: I have been coaching in the football program since 1993 and have had the opportunity to have a small piece in building and maintaining a winning attitude under the leadership of Bob Herlocker and Jerry Dunlap. What I wanted to accomplish was getting our athletes involved in the community and  demanding excellence in the classroom. We started a program with the head of library services, Kate MacMillan, called Athlete's as Readers and Leaders. This started with one session at West Park Elementary School and has grown to become a model for High Schools and Junior Colleges up and down the state of California. Our kids have been to other countries, women's shelters, fundraisers for the Queen of the Valley etc. donating their time to help others. We have been a support system to our teachers on campus to ensure our players are doing the correct things in the classroom. Our kids sit in the first two rows in their classes to show leadership. We have nine teachers, from different disciplines, on our football staff.  There is not much that gets past us on this campus without us knowing about it.

D’Adamo: You hear the term "culture" being uttered in sports, what does that term mean to you and your program?

Mott: First of all you have to find the kids that will buy into the culture. If they don't buy in, then they can't be apart of it. There are a lot of really good athletes walking around our school that chose not to buy in but the ones that do, are better off for it in the long run. Our culture is one of selflessness and hard work. One small example, we don't wear single digit numbers on our uniform or our names on the back of the uniforms. We wear our socks the same, all the way down to our undershirts. We don't do anything that separates us from the team. Not only do the kids accept this but they cherish it. It's more comforting to be apart of the group then to stand alone. Our workload and commitment level  as a team is what defines our program. We start early in the morning because it's hard and takes discipline to get out of bed, we structure our lifting program in a detailed manner, we demand precision while learning plays and techniques.  We won't accept short cuts.

D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to relate to youngsters as people?

Mott: It is the biggest part of the job. Coaches understand that we are more than a person with a whistle. We are fathers, brothers, counselors, and friends to these young men. There is nothing more gratifying than getting visits from players at your house, at practice, at games or the best is when they come back to coach alongside of you.  When that happens you know you've made an impact. I was one of those players who got into the profession because of my beloved coaches.  The men who made an impact on me and inspired me to do the same.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Mott: My wife and kids and my younger brother, Dennis. My family is all in on this journey with me.  Their support is paramount over all else.  My wife wants to win as much as I do....maybe more (smiling). My kids have to sometimes be without their father so he can coach other people's kids. They are selfless people who have bought into the same culture we promote within the program. They inspire me. My brother coaches with me on my staff and is loved by his players.  I am very proud of him.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet and what would intrigue you about meeting that person.

Mott: He's not a historical figure, but I'd love to meet my real Dad.  He passed away when I was two years old.  Fortunately for me I had a man come into my life at an early age and raise me, but it has always intrigued me to see what kind of a person my real father was and wondered if he would be proud of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment