Monday, August 17, 2015

Time Out with Jason Cardwell (2001 Vintage High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Jason Cardwell: Sports were a huge part of my life growing up, and was something that I always looked forward to doing every chance I could, whether it was traveling every weekend for baseball games and tournaments or every night all the kids in the neighborhood getting together to play baseball in the street in front of my house. You create a bond with the people you play with, and learn to be selfless, not selfish, as a player and a person which is what being apart of a team is suppose to be about.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Cardwell: After high school I went up to Oregon to play baseball and then played summer ball in La Crosse Wisconsin for the Loggers. In 2004, I started working for CAL FIRE and in 2013, I was promoted to Engineer and currently work at Yountville Station. In 2014, I married my beautiful wife, Amanda, and we are expecting our first baby in February 2016.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Cardwell: Mr. Scrivner’s Physics class.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Cardwell: Not one moment jumps out to me there were a lot of great moments, but our senior year football team is one that im sure a lot of us can relate to as a big part of our athletic career at Vintage.  We had a brand new coaching staff with some old legendary Vintage and Napa head coach named Les Franco who ran the triple option, yuck. The staff also included coaches like Mike Hall, who was our offensive coordinator and my 7th and 8th grade P.E teacher at redwood middle school, our offensive line coach Jon Conner who would jokingly call me a wide tackle because I had more of a blocking roll in our offence than a receiving roll but it was also what made our passing game so good. As a team, we came together trusted the coaches and just played the game hard and had fun.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Cardwell: I think personally the reality of life is no one wants to really grow up and have responsibilities, but team sports in school instills a sense of responsibility and has taught everyone who has played a sport pride and ownership in whatever they do including life and I’m no different.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Cardwell: My parents, grandparents and sister all have been influential in my life and I’m grateful and fortunate to have that.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Cardwell: Mickey Mantle.

No comments:

Post a Comment