Friday, August 7, 2015

Time Out with Matt Stewart (former Napa Valley College baseball head coach)

Vince D’Adamo: Whether as an athlete, coach, administrator or weekend golfer what have you enjoyed most about being connected to athletics?


Matt Stewart: Everything. Athletics is life. The relationships I have built with former coaches and players of mine, former competitors, and even administrators. The life lessons that athletics teaches are incredible. The higher the level you compete, the longer you compete, the more you learn. I was fortunate enough to play two sports in college, coach 16 years at the college level, one year in the minor leagues, two collegiate summer leagues and work for three Major League teams as a scout. Without athletics, I don’t have a clue where I would be.


D’Adamo: Locally here in the Napa Valley, most people (over the age of say 35) know you as the former Napa Valley College baseball coach, what did you enjoy most about those years?


Stewart: The 13 years I spent at NVC were very special.  I have so many memories. Two BVC (Bay Valley Conference) championships, numerous floods of Swamp field, all the players, not just the ones that got scholarships, not just the ones that got drafted, not just the ones that were starters, but all of them. We had a reunion a couple years ago that allowed us all to reconnect and it was awesome. To see how they had changed yet stayed the same. I feel very fortunate to still keep in contact with many of them. I was also able to watch my own kids hang out in the dugout with me. That time was what allowed me to be inducted into the CCCBCA Hall of Fame in ‘03.


D’Adamo: You have also taught golf classes as well to all levels of student, what is the common message you preach for each level?


Stewart: I love teaching golf. The golf and baseball swing are almost identical but everyone has little differences. The common message is tempo and timing. Swing within yourself. The best description of the swing I ever heard was “the sequential unlocking of body parts to arrive on time and on plane.” It sounds really deep but it’s really simple. I hate it when I hear people say they don’t play golf because it messes up their baseball swing. I really can only laugh, all that is, is and excuse for having a bad swing. There are only two differences: 1) You bend at the waist and 2) The ball is still


D’Adamo: How much do you trace your personal growth throughout life to athletics?


Stewart: 100%. Life is a competition and the sooner you learn to compete in athletics, you can compete in life. Participation trophies, orange slices and Capri suns have no place in athletics and life. Giving Johnny a ribbon for finishing 9th is ridiculous. It doesn’t teach him anything and only sets him up for disappointment later. Athletics isn’t always about winning, it’s about the journey. It’s about preparation, work ethic, giving all you have and letting the outcome handle itself.  It’s about looking yourself in the mirror at the end of the day and saying that I left it on the field. No excuses, no “my bad.” It’s about the 7 P’s (Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance). It’s about gearing up and going to battle with your brothers. It’s about “Letting Em Hang.” It’s not always easy. In fact, it’s really hard at times but the self satisfaction and accomplishment at the end teaches you that it really is about the journey and not the outcome.


D’Adamo: What has it been like seeing the evolution of American Canyon High athletics as you see your wife, Jill, in her role as AD?


Stewart: I am so proud of what she has done to enhance the program at ACHS. First, she is one of the best teachers I have ever seen; she understands kids and has a passion for their success, not hers, but theirs. That is what drives her. She isn’t one of those “look at me people.” She prefers to go under the radar but she is really good. She won’t stand for a substandard effort and leads by example. People have no idea what she has accomplished athletically in her life and how truly competitive of a person she is. Her drive for success is second to none. Watching her work with coaches to go the extra mile to improve the programs is fun. Status Quo is not acceptable and that doesn’t mean W’s and L’s it means in the development of the program.   ACHS is very lucky to have her.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Stewart: Obviously my father was a huge influence in my life. He was a football player at
Cal and a HS Football Coach, my HS football coach, so athletics was a part of life in our house.   Jill has had a big influence also. She has taught me patience, perseverance and has supported me 100%.  She gives me someone to look up to everyday.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.


Stewart: I can’t name just one. First, Johnny Bench, one of my idols growing up. He changed the game with the one-handed style of catching plus he’s an outstanding golfer. I would love 18 holes with that guy. Second, George Carlin. Can you imagine sharing beers with that guy, what an incredible mind. Third, Ernie Banks just because every day is a great day to play two.

No comments:

Post a Comment