Monday, August 10, 2015

Time Out with Rich Cotruvo (Justin-Siena High football head coach)

Vince D’Adamo: What is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to coaching every season?

Rich Cotruvo: What brings me back each year are the relationships I have formed with the coaches and players. As coaches, we realize that we all have a shelf life and for me I know my expiration date is looming.  So I want to enjoy every second.

D’Adamo: You took over a Justin-Siena football program that had about a decade of lean years in 1997, beyond wins and losses, what was your vision for the Braves football program based on what you wanted them to become?

Cotruvo: When I came to Justin, I saw an opportunity to build a program from the ground up. I sought a lot of counsel from colleagues and with some luck and help have established a competitive, consistent football program.

D’Adamo: You hear the term "culture" being uttered in sports, what does that term mean to you and your program?

Cotruvo: Culture to me means approach to the work. The expectations of effort expunged. The student who signs up for our program realizes that this is more than just playing a game.  

D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to relate to youngsters as people?

Cotruvo: It is the most important aspect to teaching anything. Our founder stated in 1688 that "touching the hearts of your students entrusted to your care” is the whole reason for teaching.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Cotruvo:  I assume you mean immediate family. That would be my wife, Laura, first and foremost who has supported and help guide my career for close to 40 years. Then my children who understood early on how important coaching was to me and allowed me to follow my path.  All have sacrificed something to help me do what I love to do.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet and what would intrigue you about meeting that person.

Cotruvo: I would have to say there are several but for me I would like to have dinner with Mark Twain, Willie Mays, Jack Nicklaus,  Muhammad Ali and John Lennon.  All of these people have had a huge impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment