Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Time Out with Dustin Anderson (2016 Calistoga High senior)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Dustin Anderson: I didn't play sports for a good portion of my life. When I was younger, I always wanted to play football but didn't because I figured I was too small. It wasn't until sixth grade that I finally got the chance to play and I loved it. I also didn't play in junior high for the same reason; my size. It was my freshman year that I finally picked the sport back up. The thing I've enjoyed most, honestly is the brotherhood and bond formed on a team, especially a football team. Coming into freshman year, I wasn't the most popular kid. I was kind of eccentric and didn't know how to handle myself, so I was sort of isolated. My decision to play football during my freshman year was the best one I ever made. Through this journey of competition, I have gained discipline and have made friendships and bonds that I will never forget.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Anderson: My main goal after high school is to go pursue my passion for music and go to SAE ( the school of audio engineering) and get a diploma in audio technology. With this, I want to get a job working at a recording studio while continuing to go to school somewhere in LA for a degree in the same field.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at Calistoga High?
Anderson: As surprising as this may sound, my favorite class has been weightlifting. In the past year or so, maybe two, I have become deeply interested in the fitness world and self improvement. This class, that I took junior year, and am taking now as a senior, helps me in following that path and continuing my journey of lifting. To be honest, I just love seeing how I've improved over the past year and a half and knowing how much more I still can.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Anderson: The most influential person in my family to me have to be my parents. Although he passed a couple years ago, I lived with my dad all the way up until sixth grade, and then continued visiting as often as possible and talked to him every day. He is the reason I love music as much as I do. He introduced me to the guitar at a young age -- that didn't last long.  Without him, I wouldn't be as intelligent or as hard headed as I am today. Quite frankly, I wouldn't even be the same at all. Of course I have to give my mother some credit, though. With the help of my stepdad, she has raised me from that point, and was the one who was the most excited for me to play sports in the first place. When I told her I wanted to play football, she was all for it.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?
Anderson: There are too many historical figures I'd want to meet, both in and out of sports, alive and dead. One of which is Jimi Hendrix. To be clear, he isn't my favorite musician, but I do admire him. He is one of the greats and just, you know, picking his brain a little would be really interesting. I’d love to ask him just about what drove him to play the way he did. Because he was so unique in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment