Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Time Out with Justin Davis (2016 St. Helena High senor)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Justin Davis: Growing up, I wasn’t very involved in sports but I witnessed many of my peers grow so close through sports like football and basketball, but I never stuck with any of them long enough to develop anything like they had. When I got to high school, I signed up for football and so started my high school athletic career. I never was about making a huge impact on the school by being an all star athlete, I wanted to have fun. So I played football for the first time in my life. I also tried wrestling then started throwing the shot put and discus. Football and track have definitely been the best decisions I made in my high school career. I have, like my peers had earlier, developed much closer friends and relationships through my teams, and well that what I have enjoyed the most. The overwhelming sense of family sports bring to your life is amazing.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Davis: Right now, I am starting to apply for colleges. I haven’t really decided whether I want attend a two or four year yet but I’ll end up at a four year school no matter what. I plan on staying in state and getting my bachelors degree.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Davis: I’m planning on majoring in mechanical engineering, but some form of computer and agricultural engineering is still on the table. I have grown up building and tinkering with stuff and have developed a habit of always finding out how things work, which meant the destruction of many of my belongings. Now in high school, I would much rather build something if I can then buy it and in class I  end up designing things when I'm bored or just thinking of things that could do a job I see that need to get done, etc. I though if that's what I like to do when I'm bored in class and it’s fun and intriguing to me. Why not make it a career path?

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?

Davis: Well, wanting to be an engineer I decided to take pre calculus and AP calculus which are so interesting to me with things like slope functions and derivative and double derivatives and the logic behind them, call me weird but it's been a lot of fun especially with coach Brandon Farrell being the person he is. Coach and the material we learn just makes class fun.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Davis: My dad is definitely responsible for making me the curious and “engineric” person I have become today, and my innate ability to work with my hands and tinker with things. My mom gave me more of my personality and values. No matter what though without my parents I would be nothing and like most I owe them everything.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Davis: I would love to meet Theodore Roosevelt. I have always admired his ideals and have been so grateful for him developing almost all public land organization in the united states and loved how grounded he was in his presidency. I also always respected his determination, his fight from being a young sickly boy to being one of the toughest wildest presidents we’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment