Thursday, September 14, 2017

Time Out with Alex Perez De Leon -- 2018 Napa High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Perez De Leon: Throughout my life athletics has meant so many things. I don't doubt that sports have changed me into a better person. I've learned to cooperate with all kinds of people, it definitely broadened my horizons. I went to St John's Catholic School and without programs like the Napa Saints I would've never exposed myself to the rest of the great people in this town.

Then from Saints, sports at Napa High has allowed me to form my strongest relationships with people I would've never suspected I could even get along with. That is not to mention the lesson I've learned about perseverance, dedication, reliability, I could really go on forever about all the things sports has taught me but I'm sure you are aware of what sports teaches kids. I want to specifically talk about football, football is one of the most crucial things that has helped me grow into a young adult. Ironically, rather curiously, as football made me into a young adult it somehow simultaneously remained the only thing to make me feel like I am still a kid.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Perez De Leon: After high school I plan on attending a four year university. I see myself either staying close to home or going as far away as possible. I say that because If I'm going to leave the state I would want to make it a real journey. Other than that I believe that a high schooler can't go wrong with any colleges in California, they are all great academically.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Perez De Leon: In terms of my major I am not quite sure yet. I believe college is a time to find yourself and what your heart and mind is drawn to. But I do have to admit that presently I am pretty sure wherever I apply myself in it will almost certainly be in some sort of science. I loved my chemistry classes and at the moment I am loving my robotics class. So to answer your question possibly a chemistry major or an engineering major.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at Napa High? What have you enjoyed most about it?

Perez De Leon: In terms of my favorite classes I would say it is a tie between AP Chemistry and Honors English 10. In regards to their subjects they are polar opposite but they are definitely related in that they both had great teachers. In chemistry I was already drawn to the subject and had a personal interest so having a great instructor like Mr. Ruegg only helped. Honors English 10 was a little different for me because I began not interested in English classes much at all. However, Mr. Paterson made the classes engaging and thought provoking. But most importantly, I credit him to allowing me to find my voice in writing, something I really struggled with prior. Lastly, referring to both of the classes, they were both a fun challenge that pushed me to the next level in terms of being a good student.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people? How have they been influential?

Perez De Leon: The most influential person in my family has to be my cousin Sam. I know it sounds strange but she is practically an older sister. As a kid she forced me outside, got me active, got me in the outdoors. She was always better, better at soccer, better at basketball, better at you name it. But aside from sports she was and still is a positive influence, I like to think that her optimistic, cheerful attitude might rub off on me. I also believe it goes without saying  that my parents have been and still are extremely influential. They let me try new things and made me stay in the game when I wanted to quit. Like a little kid they let me learn from experience and stepped in only when they really had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment