Monday, September 11, 2017

Time Out with Lucas Gramlick -- 2018 American Canyon High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Lucas Gramlick: What I have enjoyed the most are the bonds it creates between people both from my team and with my opponents. I know that I, along with my teammates and opponents, have worked hard and trained for a common goal. Competing with someone that gives you a good challenge, despite what the outcome may be, will generally result in both people respecting each other.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Gramlick: My plans after high school are to play college football and work on my general education requirements to help me decide what degree I want to pursue. What happens after college, happens, and like most other teenagers I am not truly certain what I want to do yet.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Gramlick: A few majors that interest me are mechanical engineer, civil engineer, architecture or some kind a field involving health and the human body. I like buildings and the way giant cities and houses are built and would like to contribute to that one day. Mechanical engineering would be cool because you get to learn how things work and build things yourself. And a medical type field always interested me but I haven’t had that much exposure to it so I’m not sure if I’d really like it or not. But like I said previously, after two years of college I think I will find something in addition to sports that truly interests me.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at American Canyon High?

Gramlick: Humanities 11 has been my favorite so far because that class covered U.S. History and American Literature and I have always been interested in the government and the founding of our great nation. We also had some real world problems that we were asked to solve and we were encouraged to express our opinions on the controversial topics of today and of the past. All in all, the class helped me learn to listen to other people and their voices, to take their thoughts and experiences into consideration while teaching me not to be afraid to share my own opinion and views, and how to debate and discuss them in a civilized manner.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Gramlick: Four people who have been influential in my life are my mom, dad, Aunt Carol, and cousin, Andrew. My parents have raised me and my aunt and cousin lived with me all through that “developing pre-teen” stage.  

My mom has always given me great guidance. She always makes sure I’m doing well in school. She makes dinners when I’d get home late (And feeding me is not joke.) and during mealtimes she always asks me questions to see how I’ve been doing. If I do have a problem, I know I can ask her because she wants what’s best for me and will steer me down the right path.
 
My dad is my first best friend. He always tells me jokes and makes me laugh a lot. If he gets frustrated with me he will tell me what I did wrong and give me advice on how to do it better next time. He has always encouraged me to do sports and even coached a good amount of my teams. He also he taught me to never miss practices and push through pain because it’s only temporary.  

My Aunt Carol and cousin Andrew lived with me from when I was 9 to 13 years old. My Aunt Carol wouldn’t ever think I could do anything wrong. She is always happy to see me and spend time with me and I also love spending time with her. And even though she has moved, we still find a day or two each month to hang out.

I admired my cousin Andrew when I was growing up, he was everything I wanted to be when I got to high school. He graduated from Vallejo High in 2010.  In high school, he was the quarterback and captain of the football team and he was the catcher and captain of the baseball team. He also coached a couple of little league teams of mine. Everyone loved him because he made everything fun while keeping everything competitive and he also inspired me to compete until I achieve.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Gramlick: I think I would like to meet George Washington. As our first president, I’d like to hear what it was like leading the Revolution of our Country. It would be pretty interesting to hear what his views and thoughts are on the current political and social climate of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment