Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Time Out with Arran Andersen -- 1989 Vintage High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?


Arran Andersen: I love the process. Working to get better, seeing tangible results,
and then testing yourself in competition. Often times, the fruits of your labor are
rewarded in both victory and defeat. That’s why I believe sports are so valuable
for kids. The lessons I learned growing up have stuck with me my entire life:
Never quit. Practice makes perfect. Leave it all out there on the playing field

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


I’m a sportscaster for the CBS Affiliate in Raleigh, NC. This stop No. 9 on my
cross country journey. Along the way I’ve covered Super Bowls, NCAA
Tournaments, NBA and NHL playoffs, and too many other sporting events to
count. I’ve also interviewed some of the biggest names in sports. For a self
professed sports nut, it’s been a dream come true.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?


Andersen: I took a an Art History class my senior year called “Man’s Search for
Meaning,” taught by Mr. Payne. It was a requirement that turned into a revelation
and opened my eyes to Art. I was so inspired that I minored in Art History at UC
Davis.  


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?


Andersen: I scored 38 points against Vanden my senior year at Vintage. That was
my career high. I also dunked for the first and only time. My only regret was losing
that basketball game. I can still remember the last play. We were down by one
point with seconds left and the pass to me inside was stolen. If we had to do it all
over again, I would have had Tony Prescott take the last shot.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since
graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Andersen: I think sports are a great metaphor for life. You learn about overcoming
obstacles and dealing with adversity along with the value of being part of a team.
You learn what it means to be a good teammate, leadership, unselfishness,
commitment and character. These are all life skills and traits that translate into the
business world, regardless of what path you choose.  

What I do today is actually an extension of the sports I grew up playing. Only now
I’m covering professional athletes and teams. I translate their experiences to our
viewers.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

I owe everything to my parents. Without them I wouldn’t be where I am today.
They inspired me, by believing in me. That’s a powerful thing. I have some many
great memories of sports at VHS and my mom and dad were part of every one of
them. They even kept going to high school games after my brother and I graduated.
They might be bigger sports fans than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment