Friday, February 23, 2018

Time Out with David Tubman -- 2002 Vintage High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?


David Tubman: I have a lot of proud memories of serious times with friends when
we showed courage when we were intimidated or doubted ourselves, and of times
we worked toward a common goal of being our collective best to beat the other
team. I often smile at and laugh to myself at memories of goofing off with my
teammates in the locker rooms, on the bus, or listening to "Celebration" by Kool
and the Gang and snapping each other with towels after a win (we weren't allowed
to talk on the way to a game or if we lost, but if we won, things would get crazy).
Some of my best friends are the guys I went to Nations with after games to rehash
the game or just goof off some more. I also enjoyed the combination
encouragement and challenge that the coaches gave us. I felt that they did a good
job of giving praise when it was earned. I think that really helped me with
developing confidence and viewing myself as someone who sets and accomplishes
goals.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Tubman: I earned my Bachelor’s Degree in psychology at Azusa Pacific University
in Southern California, then married my high school sweetie, Jeanne Morris. We
then moved to Wheaton, Illinois where I my Masters and Doctorate in Clinical
Psychology Psychology at Wheaton College. In 2010, I joined the US Air Force and
have been an Air Force Psychologist ever since. Jeanne and I have two children,
Asher, age 6, and Annie, age 4. We've had the opportunity to live near home at
Travis AFB, far from home in Germany, and now we live in San Antonio, where I'm
in a post-doctoral fellowship program in Clinical Health Psychology and a Major in
the USAF.
D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?


Tubman: I enjoyed the choir classes I took quite a bit. Ted Von Pohle, Mark Teeters,
and Jan Lanterman were pretty amazing people who managed to make choir a fun,
cultural, artistic experience, even with some of the silliness that a few of us put them
through. My love for music has a lot to do with those peoples' passion they shared
with us. I think that I learned the most from my English teachers, specifically Rich
Anderson and Jennifer Dossa. They both clearly cared about what they were doing
and about helping us learn, which I found encouraging. I think back on those classes
from time to time and I think I owe a lot of my academic success to their influence.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?


Tubman: Winning Big Games are great memories because of all the drama and
fanfare around those events. We had a huge win over Vallejo my Junior year by one
point that nobody thought we'd pull off that was also a great memory. I also think a
lot about my friend Brandon Umipig getting dressed back up in his shirt and tie after
a tough loss and when I asked him why he was doing such (the norm was to leave
in our gym clothes) he very passionately told me "Dave, I'm leaving this place the
same way that I came in...FULL DIGNITY, FULL RESPECT!" That moment may
actually be my favorite. :-)


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating
from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Tubman: As cheesy as it may sound, I have a memory of sitting in the quonset hut
at Memorial Stadium during the halftime of a football game where we getting badly
beat where Coach (Les) Franco and Coach (Jon) Conner challenged us by telling
us that despite whatever the scoreboard said at the end of the game, we needed to
be able to look at ourselves in the mirror at the end of the day and be able to
honestly tell ourselves that we truly did our best. Since that time, I've come across
a number of situations where I was uncertain of the outcome or afraid that I may fail
and the perspective that they shared with us has stuck with me. I can't always
control outcomes, but I can do my best. I think that outlook has contributed to a lot
of the success I've had.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Tubman: My parents are incredibly loving, generous people who have been
unconditionally supportive. I can gratefully say the same about my grandparents
and a few of my uncles. I'm very happy to have been born to a family of people who
care about me and seek to encourage me any chance they get.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Tubman: Paul McCartney.  

No comments:

Post a Comment