Friday, February 9, 2018

Time Out with Bernie Ochoa -- Vintage High soccer coach

Vince D’Adamo: What is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to
coaching every season?


Bernie Ochoa: Passion and pride for the game and my community. Giving back
and being a positive role model for our youth in both sports and school.  


D’Adamo: Beyond wins and losses, what is your continued vision for the
Vintage High soccer program?


Ochoa: I want to give the boys a sense of family and team along with a program
that shows their skills on the field and supporting them in the classroom, to achieve
their academic success for graduation and college. We want to help prepare them
to be responsible and respectful young adults. I believe having these values gives
us what our program is today, which is a winning tradition.


D’Adamo: You had a chance to coach with Dennis Sweeney, what did you
learn most from him?


Ochoa: I respect Dennis for his extensive background and love for the sport that he
has dedicated his life and time to the sport. I thank him for giving me the opportunity
to learn and coach beside him.


D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to
relate to youngsters as people?


Ochoa: It is extremely important. I have always strived to be an educator and impact
youth both on and off the field, to inspire them to be the best that they can be. It’s a
fine line to be a friend and a coach to the youth but it is important to prepare yourself
mentally to be a listener and have patients, so you can relate and show compassion
in. To learn and study and use your past and present experiences to help guide them.
You never know what to expect and have to be ready with what you say and do can
influence a kid for the rest of his life.


D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?


Ochoa: I thank my parents, my family and friends for all there love and support they
give me day to day. I would also like to say thank you to all my players that I have
coached over the years for giving me the opportunity to be a part of their lives and
giving me the most amazing memories.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would
most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?


Ochoa: I would like to meet Jose Mourinho Portuguese Manager who is considered
greatest and most successful managers in the world! What intrigues me is his tactical
knowledge, charismatic but also controversial personality, and what his opponents
regard as emphasis on getting results over playing beautiful football. It’s about results
at the end of the day that characterize you from being a good or bad coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment