Friday, February 2, 2018

Time Out with Johnny Villegas -- 2001 Napa High graduate




Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?


Johnny Villegas: The competition, the camaraderie, life long friendships and
life lessons gained along the way.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Villegas: After high school I attended SRJC went (11-0) and was team defensive
captain and received a full ride scholarship to a university in West Virginia. I played
ALIL (Arena2) and then semi pro. Now I’m back home in Napa (aka "God's Country")
living the dream, coaching football (14U Napa Valley Jets and North Bay Natives
7-on-7) and married to a beautiful smart wife Kristen and we have two amazing
boys Levii, 3, and Jayden, 9.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?


Villegas: My favorite class was government/economics with Mrs. Emrey

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?


Villegas: I have two. The first would be JV big game my sophomore year, I was the
fullback, I carried the ball on a play called “30 trap.” I ran over three defenders at
the line of scrimmage then continued on a 45 yard scamper where there was only
one defender left to beat in the open field. I ran him straight over because I have
no moves. I still have that on my highlight tape to this day. The other is when I
made it to the State Meet for shot put and discuss. I had all my wisdom teeth
pulled that morning but still made it to the state meet to compete and win. Marty
James took a picture of me that I have hanging on my wall to this day it is poster
worthy.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating
from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Villegas: Athletics/sports saved my life and molded me into the friend husband father
coach and man I em today and still continues to help me grow to this day.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Villegas: Everyone in my family has had a big influence on me. You know the saying
"it takes a village to raise a child" that couldn't have been any truer in my case
because I know it/I wasn't the easiest.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would
most like to meet.


Villegas: Art Rooney the founder and owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pat Tillman
soldier/pro football player/true American hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment