Thursday, April 23, 2015

Emilee Murphree (2002 Vintage High graduate)


Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?


Emilee Murphree: Competing in athletics offered so many unique opportunities - I got to travel across the country, I learned so many valuable skills and I met lots of wonderful people.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Murphree: I attended Missouri Valley College in Marshall, Missouri on a wrestling scholarship and competed through the end of my freshman year. I graduated in 2007 with degrees in English and Theatre and moved to St. Louis where I currently live with my boyfriend, Noah, and our rescue dog, Barley. After working at The Fabulous Fox Theatre for six years I am now the Marketing & Communications Manager at Scottrade Center and Peabody Opera House (an arena and performing arts venue in downtown St. Louis).


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?


Murphree: I had a lot of wonderful classes and teachers and it's hard to name just one!  I'd have to include sophomore English taught by Jennifer LaMonte, Harris Nussbaum's psychology class and physics taught by Paul Brochard.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?


Murphree: My favorite athletic memory is competing in the Napa Valley Girls Classic wrestling tournament my senior year. The tournament had its start at Vintage my freshman year and it was rare to have an all-girls event at that time. I remember sitting on the bleachers at the inaugural tournament and just feeling really inspired by it. I'd been thinking about joining the team, but that tournament was the reason I decided to wrestle. As a sophomore and junior I placed at the tournament, but didn't win, so it meant a lot to finally take take first in my weight class as a senior.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Murphree: Quite a bit, but I will always feel like there's room for growth and I think a lot of that mindset comes from participating in athletics. It also comes from having great coaches who taught the value of self-improvement. As an athlete, you're never really done practicing a skill, you just keep finding ways to do it better - that mindset sticks with you.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Murphree: Truly, each member of my family has had some important influence on my life - they've all taught me something valuable.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Murphree: There are so many people on this list. I think it would be fun to meet Julia Child, though. She's such a fascinating person and had so much personality.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily! I'm glad to read you're doing well. I agree, that first girls tourney was amazing. Great competition. Take care!
    Coach Repetto

    ReplyDelete