Sunday, April 19, 2015

Time Out with Joe LeMasters (2003 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Joe LeMasters: The thing that I enjoyed most about competing in athletics at every level, from college all the way down to little league, were the relationships that I developed along the way. I enjoyed the camaraderie with my teammates. All of my best friends have come through athletics. All of the hard work that goes into practices doesn't feel like hard work when you have your buddies running right alongside of you.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

LeMasters: After graduating from high school I went on to play Division II college baseball in West Virginia. I am now married with an 8-month old daughter.  We are living here in town and I am working for Treasury Wine Estates.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

LeMasters: It's hard for me to remember my favorite class in high school, but I certainly remember some of my favorite teachers. Mrs. Shouse's Spanish class was great because she was so passionate about teaching. She was a very inspirational teacher because her energy was so contagious. Mr. Ingram's history class was great for a lot of the same reasons. I just remember looking forward to going to his class, rather than dreading it like some others.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

LeMasters: My favorite athletic moment at Napa High was winning the MEL championship in football my senior year. We won it on the last game of the season by beating Vintage, which also happened to be on my 18th birthday.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

LeMasters: I've grown up a lot since high school, especially after the birth of my daughter. Athletics can be attributed to a lot of that growth. Athletics teach you about working hard to improve your skills, time management between classes and practices, and how to work as a part of a team. I am fortunate to have had great coaches and parents to make sure I learned those lessons early on.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

LeMasters: Within my family the most influential people in my life would have to be my parents. They've always been there for me, whether it be to offer advice or an encouraging word.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

LeMasters: A historical figure that I would love to meet would be coach John Wooden. I read any book that I can get my hands on about him or by him. He was a great coach, but more importantly he was a man of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment