Saturday, September 24, 2016

Orr's caring personality impacted many lives for multiple generations

There are people in your life that make impressions. They can be good, bad or lasting. With Keith Orr, two out of three are true. The good and lasting.
The 85-year old Orr died on Tuesday, Sept. 19 at Kaiser Hospital in Vallejo, CA after an illness. Funeral services were held Saturday at First Presbyterian Church in Napa, CA. Orr’s passing sent shockwaves throughout the entire Napa Valley with news travelling at the speed of light in both traditional and social media. News of his death not only ran as an obituary but drew an introspective feature courtesy of Napa Valley Register senior sports reporter Marty James. At Napa High’s home football game against Pleasant Valley (Chico), Orr was honored in a moment of silence. Orr was inducted into the Napa High Hall of Fame in 2000 and taught at the school from 1965-1998. He joined the Napa Valley Unified School District in 1958.  
Orr was 85, which most people consider a full life. Sure, as time goes on, we can put a positive spin on the life he led. Intellectually, we know that no one who lives 85 years gets cheated. However, emotionally, Orr’s passing leaves a void.
Before coming to Napa in 1958, Orr spent his life in Oshkosh, NE, and Caldwell, ID. Orr was part of a generation that learned his work ethic on his family’s farm. He also gained a unique perspective of life on a different layer, serving his country for two years in Korea. After getting his Master’s Degree in Education from Oregon State University, he started his teaching career in Caldwell, Idaho. Shortly thereafter, Orr moved his family to Napa. The rest, as they say, is history.
The man wore many hats. He taught physical education, coached football, track and field, along with both boys and girls basketball. Orr began his teaching and coaching prowess for Silverado Junior High before taking those talents to Napa High. He also coached football at Napa Valley College for one year as well as the Napa Valley Bears, which was a semi-pro football team that played in the California Football League for one season. Orr was also widely known as a dedicated family man as well as to his church.
Orr’s passing is not just a loss to Napa High but to the entire valley. Orr retired from teaching and coaching in 1998 but the term “retired” was a loose definition in his case. He still continued to officiate sporting events and substitute teach. Orr also taught summer school every year.
I have met many teachers and coaches that say they care about youngsters and their well-being but when Orr preached that message, it was gospel.
Seriously, how many career teachers do you know that would have followed Orr’s path after retiring? While not doing so does not make them lesser as people, it speaks volumes about Orr’s humanity.
What I remember about Orr’s personality was that he was always positive. In a world where negativity has become more commonplace and even celebrated, Orr’s personality was a refreshing.
Since I went to Justin-Siena (a private Catholic high school in Napa), I did not know Mr./Coach Orr like the Napa High alums. I first became acquainted with him because he was a frequent customer at my father’s service station, where I worked during my high school year and college years.
Two of my three sisters and my brother had him as a teacher at Napa High. Since I played football and ran track at Justin, we had an instant connection. He would call me “Brave Stud.” Well, with my athleticism (or lack thereof), “stud” would be a loose definition but I digress. Though our interactions were infrequent, I remember him being very relatable. After I graduated from high school in 1991, I moved away, four of those years were spent in his home state, specifically at the University of Nebraska, where I got my journalism degree in 1997. When I returned to California in 1998 to start an 18-year career in journalism, I learned that he retired.
However, I frequently saw him as a referee or spectator at high school sports events that I covered. When I was in St. Helena and Calistoga as a sports reporter, I frequently saw him as a substitute teacher. We would kid each other but have a good time. I would be walking toward him, Orr would say one of two things, “Man, they let anyone in these parts.” Or he’d quip, “You’re looking good, kid. They must be feeding you well up here.” Without missing a beat, I’d quip in return, “I’ve got to keep doing good things up here or they’ll run me out of town.”
From there, the conversation continued, everything from sports at all levels to family life. I could talk to the man for hours.
In a way it’s a shame that I’m thinking of this now that he is at that sporting event or classroom in the sky but I can think of a way right now that I relate to Orr. He continued to officiate and substitute teach after retiring. As for me, two years after making a career change to route sales representative (fancy term for truck driver) for Alhambra Water, I continue my writing fix through this blog and helping the Register with high school football coverage.


With Orr, impacting the lives of young people was not just a job, it was his passion.

When it came to making a difference in the lives of youngsters, this man had both Orrs in the water. Pun intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment