Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Time Out with Maggie Johnson: 2017 Justin-Siena High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Maggie Johnson: Volleyball for me has always been something I can count on. I know at the end of a long day at school where I'm stressed out about AP classes, I can rely on volleyball to be there for me. I can go to practice or a match and take my mind off everything else and just do what I love for a few hours and not worry about whatever I'm dealing with at school or in my personal life. I'm also a very competitive person, so I love the competition of playing a sport

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Johnson: I plan on going to a small, academic four year college, preferably on the east coast. I want to go somewhere where academics is the main focus, but I can still participate in extracurriculars like joining clubs and maybe a sorority, and studying abroad is something I'm really interested in as well. I definitely want to try and play in college. I'm not looking for anything too special when it comes to volleyball, I'm really only looking at D-III and NAIA schools in terms of volleyball. Again I want a school that is all academics first, so I if I do play volleyball, the coach will understand that academics are my top priority and volleyball is a close second.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Johnson: Right now I'm looking to major in English, probably with a focus on creative writing, and a minor in education. Teaching is something that really interests me, and English has always been my favorite subject since I love reading and writing, so I feel like it would be a really good career option for me. Plus, I'm sure my dad would feel good knowing I've followed in his footsteps becoming a teacher :)

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at Justin-Siena High?

Johnson: This is tough, I really have enjoyed nearly all the classes I've taken. I think the English class I took last year would have to be my absolute favorite. English last year was really fun, because the course was called Myths and Legends, so we got to look at and study a bunch of Greek, Roman, Norse, and other countries creation myths, God myths, and other myths, and even write our own myths, and then with the legends part of the course we looked a lot at superheroes and did a whole unit on marvel comics, as well as a unit on Plato and the ideal leader which we compared to superman. We also looked at JFK as a legend, and Beowulf. Overall the class was just really interesting and I had a lot of fun with it.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Johnson: My dad has probably been the most influential person in my life. He has always pushed me to be my best and supported me in everything I do. It helps that my dad happens to coach volleyball, and I've gotten the chance to both play for him my freshman year and coach with him all four years of high school during the club season. My dad always believed in me, he knew I could do it so he pushed me to do it, no matter what "it" was. I don't know that I ever would have started playing volleyball if it wasn't for my dad, and I don't know that I would have ever found my passion and love for the game that's kept me playing all these years if it wasn't for him.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

This one's hard too. I've never really been a history person, and I also don't have many people that I don't know in real life that I look up too. I think it'd be really interesting to meet Obama. He's been a pretty good president from what I've heard, plus I think it's just be really interesting to know what goes through the president's mind and how he feels about everything going on in our country, including the next election.

No comments:

Post a Comment