Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Time Out with Jason Westerberg: 2007 Napa High graduate

Vince D’Adamo:  What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Jason Westerberg: I enjoyed the preparation process with my coaches and teammates. The countless hours spent with my friends preparing and developing game plans for our opponents. Most of all, I enjoyed putting on a uniform and grinding out wins with my team.

D’Adamo:  What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Westerberg: After high school I moved down to the Peninsula to go to school at Santa Clara University (go Broncos!). I was fortunate enough to continue playing baseball as a recruited walk-on pitcher. I had four amazing years at SCU and graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Marketing (Technology). I had a successful baseball career as a utility bullpen pitcher (short and long relief, setup and a couple spot starts) but unfortunately ended my athletic career after injuring my elbow which required Tommy John surgery.

After graduating I landed my first full-time job in Sales Operations at a fast growing software start-up called Wildfire Interactive. A year later Wildfire was acquired by Google where I worked for two years until I got the itch to learn more and gain new experiences at another startup. I'm now working at a company called Showpad in San Francisco and live in the East Bay with my fiancé.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

Westerberg: My favorite class was Economics with Mr. (Mike) Warrington. I learned a lot about decision making, process and problem solving through real and fictional scenarios. This course forced us to think strategically and to be confident in our beliefs. These skills are invaluable and I use them regularly in my day to day job.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

Westerberg: In baseball, winning our last four games to clinch the 2007 MEL Championship for the first time in several years.

In basketball, hitting a game clinching 3-pointer against Wood my junior year.

In football, recovering a fumble the second play of scrimmage in Big Game my senior year or being called up to JV as a freshman and starting two games on the offensive line.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Westerberg: Exponentially. I've matured, gained new experiences, learned new skills, and met a lot of influential people in my life. Athletics shaped me into who I am today by improving my discipline, focus, time management, work ethic and so much more.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Westerberg: My dad coached me in all sports up until high school and he always urged me to dream big. I've always admired his work ethic and willingness to learn. He taught me that these are two traits don't require talent, only the right attitude.

My family has always supported me and enabled me to be successful with my education, sports and work. I feel very fortunate and wouldn't be where I am today without my family or friends.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Westerberg: Leonardo Da Vinci is one of the most influential inventors of all time. I would give anything to share a meal with him and talk about his creative process and inventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment