Friday, September 30, 2016

Time Out with Jonathan Roeder: 2017 American Canyon High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Jonathan Roeder: Competing in athletics throughout my life has had a major impact on myself and the people I choose to be around. Playing only little league baseball as a kid, I was very competitive and wanted to be the best. Though I wanted to be the best, I didn't do the necessary steps to actually be the best. Playing football for the first time my freshman year, I was nervous and wanted to continue playing this sport in the future. I didn't have good grades in junior high, but there was something about the standards of football that drove me to keep my grades up in high school. I soon fell in love with the game of football. This game specifically has changed me from being the most cockiest kid to the humble one. This game has taught me that there will always be someone stronger, faster, and bigger than me but if I give 48 minutes of my perfect effort, no one can beat that.
D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Roeder: After high school I plan on going to a four-year university, hopefully USC. I would love to continue playing football in college, and would love to be a Trojan. Another dream I may pursue after college is joining the Navy. Many of my family members are in branches of the military. I feel as if the Navy has the benefits I want to take to make my college life easier for my parents.
D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?
Roeder: I am actually not 100% sure of what I want to major in, but it will be something in the medical field. A majority of my family is in any type of medical field, whether it's a registered nurse or a surgeon. Even though a lot of my family is in the medical field, they aren't pressuring me to pursue their work but instead motivating me to pursue my dreams. I am actually very interested in working in the surgeon fields.
D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at American Canyon High?
Roeder: My favorite class at ACHS has been my Junior year humanities (English/US History) class. This class was my favorite in many different aspects. The things we've learned was interesting to me and really caught my eye. But this class wasn't my favorite for that reason only. The relationship I had with the teachers, Mr. Hsu and Mr. Olson was outstanding. They pushed me, and lifted me up when I thought I had nowhere to go. When I gave up, they got on me and really showed me that they cared. They didn't only do this to me, they did this to every student. I feel like that's rare nowadays, for teachers to really show that they care for the students.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Roeder: My mother is without a doubt the most influential and most important person in my life. She's raised me by herself from when I was 15 months old to 12 years old. Everything I am today is because of her, and I am so proud of what she has accomplished. Of course we have had our ups and downs but that has only made us stronger. She's raised me to always be respectful and have integrity in my mind, think before I act and to put others before myself. I wish right now I can give everything back that she has sacrificed for me. But the day will come, and I will finally be able to tell her that I made it and that is because of her. Every time I see her at each of my games I thank God for blessing me with the incredible support she gives me. She is the strongest person I know, she is my hero, and she is the person I look up to. Love you, mama.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?
Roeder: Someone I would really like to meet is Martin Luther King Jr. A lot of racial tension is happening in America and we all want change. But what King did was actually make that change happen. Yes we all hope for change, but what can we do to make that change happen, not only do I want to meet him for what he did but for what he did to make the change happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment