Friday, October 7, 2016

Time Out with Anthony Gobert: 2017 American Canyon High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

I've started playing football at a very young age being influenced by my older, Robert Wilkes, an American High School graduate. He was an outstanding football player, loved to show off his skill on the football field and I couldn't wait to perform just like him. I was very competitive, never liked losing especially hanging around older family members like cousins, uncles, and family friends that usually hung around my brother. I was just the tag along. My older brother had been my only opponent until I was old enough to join a team, therefore that came with a lot back and forth trash talk, while playing the game or whatever it was that we battled. When I finally became of age, I joined the same youth football team, and that’s where I found myself. I built great friendships, also brotherhoods with many different people, I learned how to take a lost and move on to the next opponent during the football season, and I definitely became a lot more open-minded and outspoken also being a three sport athlete playing baseball, and basketball too. So one of my favorite things about competing in athletics all my life was competing with the same guys I work my butt off with throughout the week until game-time and coming together the day of the game to fight together, better yet, win.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Gobert: After high school, the one thing I look forward to is continuing my education at a college that fits me, academically, environment wise, and also has a football team with a coaching staff & brotherhood willing to welcome me on to the team, and push me like I've been there for years.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Gobert: Although I have just walked into my senior year and time does fly, I have not made a choice on exactly what I want to major in. I've recently asked a bit about psychology knowing that I can comfort others, being a very respectful young man with a kind heart who hates to see people down, even at their lowest peak, I still make effort to reach out and bring someone up if I could. I know psychology has a lot to do with talking to others, maybe even counseling so I thought about looking into that.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at American Canyon High?

Gobert: My favorite class has got to be my 10th grade humanities class. That year, my two teachers Mr. Brown, and Mrs. Devincenzi had took their time with me, helped me manage my time, pushed me to get the work done and to stop being lazy, and expected nothing but my best effort the whole year. Mr. Brown had became something like a mentor for me, when I felt like I couldn’t do it, or I felt like I couldn’t make it being at my lowest peak in life, he made sure to reach out to me and let me know that there are possibilities, and that it isn't the end to your journey.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Gobert: With the little family I have here where I stay, the only one's making an effort to stay on top of me and make sure I’m headed down the right path is my mother first and foremost, my grandmother secondly who has been their just as much. My uncle Douglas Young, Vintage High School graduate, also quarterback of the football team around 1993-94 has always made sure to communicate by phone offering me all these different things he'll make sure to get me if I did what he asked in school. That was a great way to push me because I loved getting new things. My uncle Troy and his wife, my beautiful Auntie Monique Bell also gave me words of motivation making sure I stayed on top of my school work and everything else that came along with it.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Gobert: I'd like to meet rap artist Nipsey Hussle, I am inspired by this guy not because of what he does but what he's been through and the strength he's managed to build up over time. He was raised in a rough environment, ended up gang banging, but later down the line found himself. He was his own person, he ended up investing in his own clothing company, and believed in everything he started, and hustled to finish it. That’s a strong-minded individual and I want to know what gave him the strive and momentum and boost in confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment