Sunday, January 8, 2017

Time Out with Peter Garaventa (1992 Justin-Siena High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Peter Garaventa: I enjoyed the commitment to my teammates and the honor to represent my school on the field or court. Additionally, I enjoyed the bond that we shared as teammates win, lose or draw.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Garaventa: I have been working for HealthQuest Fitness Center in Napa, CA, for almost 20 years. I am the Operations Manager and am blessed with an incredible staff that makes my job fun. At HealthQuest we are very fortunate, our members are awesome and most times it hardly seems like work. I joke that my Biology degree comes in handy at times as the gym can be like a giant Petri dish. By far the best part of my job is that it introduced me to my wife. We dated for 18 years and got married last year. Our family has grown as we have been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren and probably a few more to come. Recently, I started riding cutting horses after a long hiatus and really enjoy my time horseback, just not often enough.  A couple of rental properties and a mobile dog grooming business run by my wife’s youngest daughter helps to occupy my free time as well.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Garaventa: I enjoyed a lot of different classes at Justin. Obviously Mr. (Bob) Morrish, but Daphne Birkmeyer and Mr. (David) Carlomagno really challenged me to perform my best in their Biology and Physiology classes. I wanted to do well for them. Coach (Randall) McClure's Freshman English class was an eye opener too.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Garaventa: Without a doubt it wasn't a moment, but it was a season. Our Freshman year of football season was 0-9. We worked hard and came back the next season to go undefeated in league. We tied Colfax 0-0, after losing the previous year 52-0 and took lap on their field after the game, Coach (Jim) Haver smashed the previous years game film in their parking lot and they chased us out of town half way down I-80.
If I had a moment, it was against Vanden. I was playing outside linebacker, came around the corner and had their quarterback in the crosshairs with his back to me. I got to run him over. My cousin, Paul Momsen, picked me up and shouted that my facemask was green. Some of the paint from the Vanden QB's helmet stuck to my red facemask.  That felt good.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Garaventa: I don't think I've grown a lot personally since high school. My wife calls me an “old soul” and I think that's a pretty fair description. I've made my share of mistakes and I try not to repeat them. However, I believe that high school athletics helped me develop leadership skills that I use today, form a strong work ethic and to cherish the ability to move my body everyday.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Garaventa: My dad and my wife. They are extremely different, but I have learned so much about work ethic and management from them, nothing that could ever be taught in a classroom.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Garaventa: I think we put too much emphasis on sports figures, movie and television personalities and even politicians. I'm surrounded by people with all sorts of different backgrounds and experiences everyday. They come to the gym for a variety of reasons and most have interesting careers and experiences to share. I try to learn something from everyone. Sometimes the most unassuming person has the most interesting life outside of the gym. I get to meet new people everyday (if I want).

No comments:

Post a Comment