Sunday, January 22, 2017

Time Out with Zane McKeithan (2005 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Zane McKeithan: Athletics have been a huge part of my life and continue to be a huge part. I'm not sure I can narrow down what I enjoyed most, but I definitely fell in love with competing against my peers, exercising in general, the structure and discipline that sports brought to be a few.
D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

McKeithan: When I got out of high school, I continued my education for two years at the Napa JC, earned an AA and played a year of soccer for the Storm. After the junior college I went to Sacramento State University, where I studied and earned a BS in Exercise Science. Soon after my college days were over, I moved back to Napa and begin working construction, warehouse and other random jobs in the valley, while coaching the Napa High Indians freshman and JV basketball boys for three years. Few years ago my dad and I decided I should work with him as a soils engineer and that's been my steady and wonderful job since. About the same time, my current business partner, Mike Quinn and I decided to start Napa Sports Association training, motivating and mentoring kids in our community. Currently that's where I'm at and the most happy I've been. There's no reward like helping kids achieve their goals and dreams, I'll tell you that right now.
D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

McKeithan: My favorite class at Napa High would probably have to be Spanish II or Spanish III with Mrs. Shouse. She made learning so much fun and had more enthusiasm than anyone I've ever met. She had a gift and passion when it came to teaching. I actually try to carry her enthusiasm when I train my athletes.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

McKeithan: My favorite athletic moment would definitely be the combination of the last five basketball games of the regular season my senior year. I remember we were all thinking we have to win all of these games to make playoffs and we have some real completion ahead. We had to beat Vacaville, Wood and Armijo who ended up going to State or close, as I recall. It was awesome that we put our heads down, played as a team, fought adversity, won the five games and made the playoffs.
D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

McKeithan: I would like to think I've grown a lot since high school but I'm sure my parents, girlfriend and friends would say otherwise. But realistically sports have helped me in all kinds of ways. It's taught me a tremendous amount of good habits like: following through, fighting and working hard for what you want, never give up, holding myself accountable and always be on time. I relate everything to sports and what I would do on the basketball court or soccer field.
D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

McKeithan: No question, my Mom and Dad have been the most influential people in my life. As a team they have always pushed me to be my best and taught me to give my all in whatever I do. They have always been their as positive parents and truly my backbone. Not sure where I would be without their love and support honestly.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
McKeithan: Wow, now that's a tough one for sure. But I'm going to have to go with Michael Jordan for several different reasons. For starters, he was a Carolina Tar Heel and all my people know I bleed Carolina blue. He brought a level of work ethic and skill that no one had ever seen before, which I truly admire and his shoe game was always hot. MJ was basically my idol, role model and favorite person until Steph Curry and Kevin Durant came around.

No comments:

Post a Comment