Monday, January 2, 2017

Time Out with Steve Maloney (1990 Justin-Siena High graduate)




Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Steve Maloney: I enjoyed the shared experience with my teammates the most. When I was at Justin-Siena, I think a lot about how fun it was but also about how our teams underperformed. We could have done better if we had a better program and guidance. It was very frustrating to see the misguided efforts of our team to practice to win, yet we were not ready to do that. We had enough talent to do well but our three varsity coaches in four years did not instill the confidence and bond that a football team needs to learn life lessons like confidence, responding when you are down or intimidated, committing to others, resolving to work hard for a team cause, and focusing on moments. This is what a football team is about, helping the players with these core life skills. This is directly related to how well a corporation runs; How well its team delivers on its objectives. This is that part of team performance that I love; Competing with your teammates to win, giving your all, always improving and to do your best. A great organization has this same environment.
D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?
Maloney: Since leaving Justin-Siena, I have been a software sales leader for over 21 years. I enjoyed selling solutions that drive revenue, cut costs, find competitive advantage, predict outcomes, help to find/hire great people, etc.
D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Maloney: I enjoyed English with Bob Morrish the most. Even though I was terrible at it back then, he was such a great and challenging teacher. This quote sums him up very well; Principal Greg Schmitz characterized Morrish as “a wonderful man, a great friend, teacher, colleague, mentor, confidante, coach and director and a wonderful Christian.”

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Maloney: Starting at Linebacker in the 1990 East-West All Star Game was a highlight for me. I appreciated very much winning the 500 Club Award and the Defense Award as a Senior when I made 103 tackles. But being able to represent the Braves who did not get much respect from other area schools was fun; I got in about 7-10 fights in practice trying to make a strong presence for the Braves brand while hitting people hard and going all-out in practice. I hope it earned a little JSHS respect at that brief interval in time. I had four tackles and a sack in the game and I truly enjoyed representing our school. Overall I loved my JSHS teammates and long-term friendships that were formed there. “Sempre Avanti” to all Braves.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Maloney: I trace a lot of my personal growth maps to football. I struggled at times with confidence and resilience and I have it anchored in me now and the sport helped with this; Primarily driven by great teammates who helped me commit to myself and to them. Playing also at DVC (Diablo Valley College) for Ed Hall, who founded De La Salle's Football program before leaving to go to Coach JC Football at DVC for more than 35 years was a life-changing experience. I worked so hard and believed so much that I could contribute that I found a way to start and contribute, when I thought I could not just due to the sheer number of guys that were bigger and faster than me. In my second year on the team I received an award I will always cherish; Most Improved Player - Defense; 1992 at Inside Linebacker; 124 tackles/89 solo/5.5 Sacks/7 forced fumbles, and Player of the Game vs. College of San Mateo w/16 tackles and one sack. Personal growth comes from challenges and football has certainly helped me to be a better teammate now in business, a better husband, and friend, and person.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Maloney: Most influential to me are my family and my dear friends who I consider as family. Life is hard and we have to rely on each other for feedback, ideas, love and to get through life to make the most positive impact as possible. Friends that I count as family include these people that I still am extremely grateful for. These friendships formed initially by playing sports at Justin with these great people. I still have strong friendships with ex-teammates Bill Waggoner (funniest guy ever wow), Philip Antoniadis, Andy Berry, Kerry Egan, Matt Buoncristiani...and others.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Maloney: I would have to say Jesus. Since this is not realistic I will keep focused on meeting and conversing with as many interesting people as possible, there are so many in all our lives if we just engage.

No comments:

Post a Comment