Sunday, January 15, 2017

Time Out with Ryan Kostecka (2007 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Ryan Kostecka: Athletics has been engrained in me since I was born. My dad is a former college volleyball coach (Northern Arizona University before coaching at Napa High). I grew up watching the game and attending all of his tournaments. The best thing about competing in athletics are the life lessons. It taught me how to win with grace and lose with humility. I learned how to work with others but also, how that no matter what happens in your surroundings, you're in control of how you handle any given situation. Also, one of the best things is being a part of a team, feeling that brotherhood, and achieving true team goals.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Kostecka: Since graduating in 2007, life couldn't be more different than where I pictured myself being. I live in Eugene, Oregon now where I'm married to a beautiful woman named, Dana. We've been together for seven years and we just recently bought a house in Eugene with our two dogs (Emma and Chewy). I work as a journalist, covering Oregon Ducks football and basketball, and as a personal trainer. Life has definitely had its ups and downs since I've graduated but one of the main constants has been the support of my three best friends since the 7th grade (Ryan Brown, Jason Westerberg and Josh Ohlandt — all former Napa High athletes).

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

Kostecka: It's hard to choose between just one class. My junior year, I had English with Mrs. Ready and History with Coach Todd Pridy. Both of those classes, as well as senior year English with Mr. Aaron, were my favorite classes. All three of the teachers challenged me in different ways. I think it was during Mrs. Ready's class that I discovered my knack for stories and story-telling, that eventually indirectly led me to journalism. Pridy's class challenged me to be the absolute best I could be and the way he portrayed history to relevant topics in society today really stuck with me. As for Mr. Aaron's class, he just had this vibe and aura about him that made class enjoyable everyday.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

Kostecka: My favorite athletic moment isn't from when I was in front of a big crowd during a game. My favorite athletic moments were during my junior and senior seasons of basketball. The night before Big Games, my dad (Scott) and I would have one-on-one practice sessions late at night. Just us, a ball and the hoop. We'd typically start once the girls game ended and as people were walking out of the gym, I'd be walking into it in my practice gear. Sometimes we'd practice for an hour, sometimes it would be more. I just remember those moments with my dad, who was extremely well-known as our athletic director. We talked about everything in our lives during those times and to this day, they've helped pave the way for the best-friend type of relationship I have with my dad.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Kostecka: I can't even contemplate how much I've grown since high school. I look back at those days, and while I admire at how much fun I had, it's hard to imagine that I was once that same guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm still the same happy, go-lucky type of guy but the way I view the world and handle certain situations is vastly different. Honestly, the change is a combination of meeting my wife and athletics. I still have that same competitive drive that athletics instilled in me but now, it's been better used in ways my wife has taught me. I do find that when I'm in a situation that I don't know how to handle or deal with, I tend to reflect on my athletic background to help me start a path to get through it.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Kostecka: My entire family has been influential. My younger sister (Megan, 2010 Napa High graduate) is my best friend and one of the very few people in the world that I can tell absolutely anything too. She's still the best athlete in the family also. As far as my parents go, I'm a 50-50 mix of both of them. With my dad, I think the same way he does and I have that same "Is what it is" type of attitude like him. I hope to be just as good of father and person as he is one day. As for my mom, she's the one person in the world I would never mess with and always want to be my friend. All of my competitiveness and grit comes from her and the fight that she's showed in life through her tribulations is something I admire. Also, my mom truly believes that there's nothing that she can't do... and I agree with her. She's given me this "unwavering confidence" in myself that's served me well thus far in life. All together, my family is so important to me and without them, I can't even fathom where I might be.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Kostecka: I don't know if there is anybody I'd truly like to meet. I've been so extremely lucky and blessed to have met the people I've met, made the relationships I've made in my life and I wouldn't change that for anything. I think, more than anything, I would just like to see those closest to me more. As I mentioned above, I've had the same three best friends for nearly 15 years and we all live far from one another. I wish to see them more. I also wish to see more of my little sister and her fiancé. I've met many famous and non-famous people throughout my life but what's most important to me is keeping those friendships and relationships closest to me and strengthening them all the time. So, rather than meet anybody new, I wish to see the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment