Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Time Out with Corey O'Neil (2000 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?


Corey O’Neill: Athletics has always been my outlet. It is a step into another world where the daily trials and tribulations of life have no effect on me so it is just me and the task at hand on the court/field. This has a two part benefit as it is both physically healthy to continue doing as long as I possibly can, but also mentally rewarding as an escape. Sometimes life throws you curve balls and the athletic endeavors I partake in help to bring me back to reality and calm my senses. This was as true growing up in my teen years as it is to this day. To be completely frank, I still play basketball roughly 3-5 times a week. It is my hobby, but more importantly, my therapy at times.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


O’Neill: Since graduating high school, I attended Chico State University where I earned degrees in Political Science, Philosophy and a minor in Ethics. I then moved back to Napa for a while to work in the wine industry as the Tasting Room Manager at Peju Family Vineyards and then Black Stallion Winery upon opening their doors. I also spent a little time at Trefethen Vineyards as well. I moved to Washington DC in January of 2008 after accepting a job at a political public opinion polling and research firm called Greenberg, Quinlan and Rosner Research. It was a great environment for me at the time given my desire to make an impact on democratic politics and my even greater interest in getting then Senator Barack Obama in the White House. After a little more than two years in the District, I had a desire to move back out West and luckily found a home with Tulchin Research in 2010, a similar but much smaller San Francisco based political polling and consulting firm where I still work to this day as an analyst. Think Market Research that leans more towards politics and government policy.
D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?


O’Neill: My favorite class at Napa High was either Physics with Mr. (Paul) Dean or my Humanities class with Mrs. (Jenny) Valasopolous. I love that woman, and probably made me want to get in to the degree programs I did in college.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?


O’Neill: Various home run balls come to mind, but probably earning All-County (twice) and All-League honors for baseball as a show of the work I had put into the game I loved and was a part of me for so long.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


O’Neill: I have grown immensely since high school, some ways better and some ways worse, but I will always value what athletics did for me. The idea of growing and pushing yourself past points you never thought you could mentally and physically is a rewarding aspect for me. I don't think i would have the kind of confidence and toughness I have today without that.
D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


O’Neill: It is hard for me to give a value to any one member of my family, they all hold a piece of me within my existence. My mom is the rational no-nonsense rock that keeps all of us on the right track. My dad is this genuine soul who would do anything for his kids to make them happy, and for me with regard to athletics, would come home itching to have a catch or pitch whiffle balls to me in the back yard (some of my most cherished days). And then there is my sister... my other mother if you will. She, like I do, embodies a little bit of both our parents and helped me get through some tough times growing up for which I am forever indebted to her. and true to her nature, she continues helping people today in Napa as a social worker who helps improve the lives of the more vulnerable members of the community.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
O’Neill: This is fairly easy for me: Michael Jordan. Besides my immediate family, I don't think any other person had a more powerful influence on me than him in my youth. To me, he embodies success through drive, determination and hard work. And watching him play was some of the most amazing artistry I will ever remember in my lifetime. But a close 2nd and 3rd would be Bertrand Russel or President Obama.  

No comments:

Post a Comment