Thursday, March 19, 2015

Time Out with Elia Rubio (2015 St. Helena High senior)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Elia Rubio: My participation in cross country, soccer, and basketball have allowed me to express myself outside the classroom. I’ve enjoyed watching both myself and my teammates improve during practices and games.Throughout my involvement, I’ve also had the opportunity to form bonds with people I wouldn’t have met otherwise if it weren’t for sports. Sports have taught me various skills, as well as allowed me to acquire both confidence and a sense of ambition.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?

Rubio: I hope to attend a four year university of my choice. As of now, I am unsure of what university I will attend given that I have yet to hear back from other schools. I applied to both both private and public universities, instate and out of state. So far, I have been accepted to eight universities. I also hope to continue playing basketball by joining and intramural team.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?

Rubio: As of now, I hope to major in general health sciences or biology to potentially pursue a career in medicine. Ideally I would like to become a physician assistant and then possibly continue on to medical school to become a doctor. Science is an ever evolving field with different branches and is the main reason as to why I am drawn to the subject. My ability to speak to languages would also allow me to aid those who have limited communication due to the language barrier.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?

Rubio: My favorite class at St. Helena High School is AVID. I’ve been enrolled in this college preparatory class since freshman year. This course has guided me through the application process for both college and scholarships. I’ve benefited greatly from this program, because I will be the first in my family to attend college.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Rubio: Though I am inspired by many, my father has been a primary influence in my life. Other than his audacity to come to the United States at a young age, his resilience from his long term back injury have had a lasting impact on me. He’s taught me to persist even when times are difficult, as well as inspired me to further my education.  

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet.

Rubio: A historical figure that I would like to meet is Frida Kahlo. Other than being a prominent Mexican female, and world-renown artist, Frida was her own person. Her audacity, independence and courage are but few of the traits that I hope to one day acquire.

No comments:

Post a Comment