Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Time Out with Daniel Murphree (2003 Vintage High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?


Daniel Murphree: I enjoyed the training such as running in Westwood Hills and traveling to different cities.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Murphree: I graduated from UC Davis with  an art degree, also,  while in college I also learned some remodel construction and have been working on homes ever since. Other than that, just enjoying life, I make furniture out of reclaimed materials, making a table right now, I just turned 30.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?


Murphree: My favorite class at Vintage High, would be  English 12 taught by Sushanna Ellington, search for meaning. It was an eye opening class, and Art taught by Christine Golik, and Economics with coach Mike Flohr.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?


Murphree: That  would have to be at the state tournament my senior year. I found myself down 6-1 in the quarterfinals about halfway through the match. I had a light-bulb go off in my head, telling me that I had to get to work. So I put my 8-mile face on, and ended up winning 12-10.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Murphree: I feel that I have grown a lot, personally, since high school. I can trace some of that growth to athletics; more accurately, I can trace, the motivation and the drive to want to change, to athletics. I have had a lot of great mentors and teachers, too, so I think, athletics is one of many things.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Murphree: My Aunt Terry, she taught me how to poach an egg, without vinegar. All my family is very influential in their own way, and I have learned many things from everyone.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Murphree: Urban Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment