Friday, March 6, 2015

Time Out with Grant Jacka (2000 Vintage High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Grant Jacka: The thing that I always enjoyed about athletics were the friendships that I made along the way. To this day most of my best friends are guys that I played sports with. These are guys that you worked with for countless hours to achieve a common goal. Share in the ups after a big win and the downs after a crushing loss. These are guys that you've bleed and sweat with in 90 degree weather in August. You know that they will always have your back.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Jacka: Fortunately I was able to continue my football career after high school as I attended college in San Diego, play as long as you can until someone tells you that you can't anymore. Football is one of those sports where you can't really keep playing as you get older unless you're fortunate enough to do it as a profession. Completely different from baseball or basketball where you can always find a place to play as you get older. I ended up finishing school at Sacramento State University with a degree in History. I moved back down to San Diego with my beautiful wife Yasmin in 2008 and have been in the insurance business ever since, as an Employee Benefits Broker.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Jacka: My favorite class was US History by far taught by Dan King. He was easily my favorite teacher as well. History always interested me, probably because my dad was so into it as well, he constantly watched John Wayne or War movies. Just think it's great to know where you came from and all the things that led up to where we are today.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Jacka: My favorite athletic moment was probably my first game playing varsity football as a junior. I grew up with Clint Semrau who was a couple years older than me and was lucky enough to watch him and guys like Conrad Alvarez play on Friday nights at Memorial Stadium. To be able to take over the quarterback job from him as a junior was a pretty amazing feeling. Even though I had been to so many Friday night games at Memorial and playing there in the JV day games, coming out onto the field on a Friday night to a packed stadium was a completely different thing. Took me a few series to calm the nerves but I finally settled in. It was an even better feeling throwing my first touchdown pass, pretty sure it was to Darrick Graeber too. Felt like I belonged after that.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Jacka: I definitely feel I've grown since high school, although I still make sure to have as much fun as I can with a lot of the same people from high school. Pretty cool after all these years and most living in different parts of the state that we make sure to stay in touch. As far as growing though, I would say that I've learned to be more accountable for yourself and your actions than when I was younger. You're only going to get out of life what you put into it. Sports was definitely a key component to getting to that point in my life. You are taught at a young age that the hard work will be rewarded and that you can't rely on others to to achieve the things you want in life.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Jacka: Easily both of my parents here. Seeing my dad work as hard as he did to give us the things that he didn't have growing up and my mom fight as hard as she has in dealing with her health issues really made me appreciate everything that I had growing up. I was afforded many luxuries that some kids just don't get growing up and it's all because of them. It was now my job to make the most of them as a thank you to both my parents. I hope that they are proud of where I am today.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Jacka (smiling): Adolf Hitler, so I could have gotten the chance to kick his ass myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment