Monday, March 23, 2015

Time Out with Kristin Jacka (1998 Justin-Siena High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Kristin Jacka: There were so many things I loved about competing in sports throughout my life but to me what stands out the most was that amazing feeling I had right after the game and a big win. Softball is a year round sport here in California so you're working hard all year in practice, both as a team and individually to prepare for the regular season. When all of that hard work pays off and you're winning games and championships and then able to share that feeling of sheer joy and accomplishment with your teammates, there is no better feeling. I was fortunate enough to be a part of some really great teams and had some amazing coaches, especially my head coach and pitching coach for four years Mr. John O'Connor, so I experienced that feeling a lot.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Jacka: It's been quite an adventurous journey for me since I've graduated high school. Right after I graduated I attended school in Kansas and played a couple years of junior college softball both there and back home in Napa. After my playing days and school days were over, that's where my love for travel began. I moved to a few different cities throughout the country and then got a job as a Flight Attendant. I was a Flight Attendant for 10 years before taking some time off to settle back in Napa Valley and try out the wine industry. I was hired to help launch a brand new tasting room in downtown Napa. It was a great experience and a nice change for me. However, I then realized I belonged back in the sky and decided to go back to flying. I'm with a new airline now and will be based on the East Coast starting next month.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Jacka: My favorite class was definitely English with Mr. (Bob) Morrish. I had him for both Junior and Senior year. I loved English and he was one of my favorite teachers as well. Mr. Morrish made his classes so fun and entertaining. He had a big personality, would act out Shakespeare and he  always had the best stories. I remember he also had a big beer mug on his desk and would sometimes ask myself or other students to go fill it up with coffee or water. His class was one that I really looked forward to everyday and I have so many great memories from his class.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Jacka: Wow, I have so many I could say here but the one that comes to mind first would definitely have to be pitching as a freshman in my first varsity softball game. There were a only few games left in the regular season before the playoffs so Mr.O brought myself and a couple other players from JV up to Varsity to add players to the roster for playoffs and help the team out. I started and I ended up pitching a perfect game/shutout but more importantly we got the win. I'll never forget that feeling. I was beyond thrilled to be playing alongside girls I had respected and admired on and off the field, players like Casey Cortese and Megan Healy, along with many more. To get to experience that with that caliber of players was just the best feeling ever. I felt so much more confident after that. I was fortunate to have veteran players who showed me what being a great teammate and leader meant. That game set the stage for the following years of my high school playing career to come.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?  

Jacka: I feel that I've grown so much since high school just through my travels and experiences alone. Also with all the lessons I've learned along the way and I trace very much of that to athletics. Especially now as I'm getting older, I realize that things that are important to you and worth having don't come easy and they don't just fall in your lap. You have to be dedicated, driven and work hard for what you want and towards accomplishing your goals. Whether it's your dream job, maintaining strong relationships or just your overall personal happiness. You have to go after it and make it happen yourself. It's like with sports, you don't win games or achieve success without long days or nights of practice, being motivated and driven so you have to apply that to your adult and everyday life as well. I now realize the connection of that more than ever before.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Jacka: Coming from a big family I feel very fortunate to have many positive and supportive people in my life. Each of my family members has been so influential to me and each one in a special and different way. My parents have always been a huge reason for my accomplishments, past and present, as well as my siblings. They are all my number one fans and support system. My dad truly is the hardest worker I know and he has had that work ethic since he was a kid. Although working long hours at a physical job, he still found time to coach our different teams growing up and take us down to the school or the backyard and throw with us and hit with us. He is also one of the most well rounded and fun people I know. He has always done so much to provide the best life possible for us all and I am so grateful. My mom does it all and has always been there for me as well. She worked full time and still managed to never miss any of mine or my siblings games, have dinner on the table every night and help out with school projects. I don't know how she did it all. I am so appreciative of that. She has also taught me to be strong and to never give up. My siblings many accomplishments, especially now, in both their personal and professional lives, helps motivate me and drive me to become a better person every day. I also have extended family members I'm close to who are highly positive influences in my life. Wherever I am or whatever I'm doing I always think about how much they all mean to me and how they affect my everyday life.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Jacka: I would have to say Derek Jeter. He's a legend, not only in baseball but in sports itself. The way he competed and carried himself with class and respect on and off the field like he did is pretty amazing and very admirable. Plus he's pretty cute too.

No comments:

Post a Comment