Monday, October 19, 2015

Time Out with Sophia Sakopoulos (2016 St. Helena High senior)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Sophia Sakopoulos: I have enjoyed the team aspect of playing sports the most. It is so interesting to see how, over the summer and season, the individual players form relationships and cohesion on and off the court. It becomes like a little family and it is so fun to be able to play alongside good friends on the court.

D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Sakopoulos: I am planning on going to a four year university after high school. I am applying to many schools all over the country and so far I have no top school. I am pretty open to many schools and I am so excited to start that chapter in my life.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?
Sakopoulos: I would like to study neuroscience and possibly become a trauma surgeon. The brain is so complex and mysterious and it is amazing to me how little we actually know about it. I would also like to be a trauma surgeon because it would never be boring and the human body is an amazing feat.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?
Sakopoulos: My favorite class at SHHS has been anatomy and physiology with Mr. O'Connor because it was so hands on with the car dissections and I really liked learning about the human body. It is applicable and makes total sense.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Sakopoulos: My mom has been the most influential person in my life because she is at the top of her field and yet continues to learn and grow as an individual and as an academic. She travels around the world doing talks and presentations about her passion and that is something I really admire.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?
Sakopoulos: I would really like to meet Serena Williams because not only is she a world-renowned athlete, but she also advocates for many charities. She uses her fame and wealth for good reasons and I really respect that. I think all famous people should do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment